First Gator Jaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Turned Around

Turned Around

Ok guys, here it is. It's not my best work (especially the photos, i'll take better ones later), but I can say I have turned a gator jaw bone. I wasn't really sure what to expect with this, even after reading posts and suggestions. I do know what I will do differently on the next one and what I want to get out of it. This one, I filled with brass shavings.

All comments, suggestions and smart*** comments welcome.

Nic

P.S. There actually is a shine to the CA finish, but the cell phone pics don't show it off too well.

IMG_20120611_210006.jpg

IMG_20120611_210011.jpg

IMG_20120611_210016.jpg

IMG_20120611_212419.jpg

IMG_20120611_212426.jpg

IMG_20120612_075212.jpg

IMG_20120612_075222.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

Filling it with brass shavings is very, very interesting and creative. Nice job!

So, hey! How'd you like that smell!? You'll never forget it.

cutting it up on the bandsaw, not good. i got too close, and even with the mask on (simple painters mask), i started hacking up a lung. but turning it, for some reason there was no smell until i started sanding it.

and the brass shavings, i got the from wal-mart. a lady there let me raid their key making station.

tkbarron

Great dental work! That's a beautiful pen you got there!!

Turning and especially sanding gator jaw will generate a LOT of dust. One thing I would recommend is that you use compressed air and tooth brush to clean out the pits before applying a finish. That will eliminate those tiny white specks you see in the brass filings.

Tom

Akula

Nice results. I like the brass, I might have to try some aluminum on one :)

One thing I like about yours, the lower barrel. You took it down to show the sockets. Most times people from what I see, just go on a bushing. That leaves a lot of resin fill over the top of the sockets. I always take mine down and if needed build up with CA.

Very nice pen

Turned Around

Very nice.

Thanks Chris. I might have to get with you on the next one. I'm tempted to do a colored casting. I've only done clear PR so far.

Nice results. I like the brass, I might have to try some aluminum on one :)

One thing I like about yours, the lower barrel. You took it down to show the sockets. Most times people from what I see, just go on a bushing. That leaves a lot of resin fill over the top of the sockets. I always take mine down and if needed build up with CA.

Very nice pen

thanks for the compliment.

if you can get them, i'll be happy to trade you a baggie of brass for some aluminum.

Jgrden

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the attraction is to alligator jaw for pen blanks. Sorry, guess that makes me a lame pen turner.

Turned Around

thanks guys for all the compliments. you find some pretty unique things to use as fillers when you're on a tight budget. i have a lot of shavings left over, too.

Jgrden

Where did you get the alligator jaw. When we lived in Florida we had our own bevy of gators but was not turning pens at the time. Now all we have around are bear and coyotes.

yorkie

Too funny with the smell. Wal-mart...way to get creative!

Filling it with brass shavings is very, very interesting and creative. Nice job!

So, hey! How'd you like that smell!? You'll never forget it.

cutting it up on the bandsaw, not good. i got too close, and even with the mask on (simple painters mask), i started hacking up a lung. but turning it, for some reason there was no smell until i started sanding it.

and the brass shavings, i got the from wal-mart. a lady there let me raid their key making station.

Top Bottom