First FP Atrax GM with Blue Kyrinite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

The Kyrinite turned and finished beautifully (if you see any specks..it dust not scratches LOL) .

The dang nib probably is not the best. Does anyone know of a better quality replacement. Berea simply describes them as medium nib. They volunteered to send me another one (nice folks). If it doesn't work-out, I will make it a RB. I know of the better quality brands, but I don't know what is compatible with the Atrax.

I did reverse the barrels with medium blue Krylon (and tubes).

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Atrax FP Blue Kyrinite 1.jpg
    Atrax FP Blue Kyrinite 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 335
  • Atrax FP Blue Kyrinite 2.jpg
    Atrax FP Blue Kyrinite 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 317
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

curlyjoe

Not always the nib that is the problem. It could be any number of things.
I don't think it would be fair to blame the nib or quality without troubleshooting.
A medium nib is just the tip size and has nothing to do with quality.

southernclay

Looks good Tony!

The first fountain I made was an Atrax as well, I messed with that nib for a long time and never got it to write very well. I replaced it with a 5mm bock nib and it writes wonderfully, I tuned it a bit after watching several youtube vids. It's one of my desk pens because it writes so nicely.

TonyL

Thanks Warren and Joe. I have been trouble shooting for 90 minutes. I even replaced the nib with another Heritage or Taiwanese something nib(from one our suppliers, that did caution me BTW). The piston works, the feeder is absorbing ink, etc. It shouldn't be that complicated. I have used off the shelf FPs before. If you have an extra Bock, I will gladly buy it from you if going to WC on Saturday or the wood show. Otherwise, I may just order from Amazon now, and I will get it tomorrow. Thanks! 5 mm, right?

southernclay

Yep 5mm I got it from Roy at Classic last bash I think, only got the nib, was around $11-12. I don't think I have any more but if I do I'll let you know.

corgicoupe

The day a complete nibs or join nibs have been great for me. I've made 15 kojent kits from woodcraft, and a couple of other suppliers. Never had a nib that didn't write well.

Let's try one of mine on Saturday, Tony.
Bob

TonyL

Thank you. I ordered 3 all-ready. I have taken that nib in and out so many times, I will leave alone until the new nibs arrive. Thank you though and I am looking forward to meeting you!

Ric

You sure got some wild action on the body of that pen Tony. If I was to make that particular pen in that combination, it would get swiped by my daughter or granddaughters before the polish had dried completely. The wilder the better is their motto.
sharp looking "Scribe Stick" you got there. Thanx for sharing...Ric.
"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS !!!"

TonyL

Thanks. It is a really nice blank. I am going to use it myself...I have a replacement nib coming, but I can always convert to a RB. Thanks again!

corgicoupe

I have found Bob Flexner's book on finishing to be a good resource. More than once he comments that the manufacturers are not accurate with directions, and are often not forthcoming in naming products to correctly identify the ingredients.

eharri446

Beautiful Pen

Tony,

You will have to bring that pen to the next meeting and show it off. That is if you don't lose it to the missus.

TonyL

Thank you. I did bring it with some others. I haves turned only 3 Kirinite pens: so, far, I find it superior to some PSI-like AA. It may just be a psychological thing. Come to my place and we will turn some! My Lori is a little thing. I finally persuaded her to try a Virage RB after I made a bunch for her/our female friends. Believe it or not, Lori has been using a Diva pen everyday for 18 months...I have been waiting for that charm thing to fall off, but it has not and she loves it.

Top Bottom