First few Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kglass

kglass

:)Hi Everyone,
Just started turning Pens a few weeks ago or so. Gathering material was a learning experience. The bushings thing seems cumbersome at best. I am turning on a powermatic 3520B and have been woodturning HF's, bowls, Vases, platters , etc for several years. This is my first attempt at Pen turning and I think it could become an addiction as most wood turning is. The site is a huge source of info and I will use it extensively. Here are a few of my first attempts. There are several wood species including: Bethlehem Olive Wood, Cocobolo, Buckeye Burl, White and Black Ebony, White Oak Burl and a Vietnam Service Metal inlay in a Manhattan Pen Kit with curly Maple. I had a brainstorm (which doesn't happen often) and decided to make a Pen Stand from a Maple Burl Cap I had in the shop.
Your comments and critiques are welcome.:)

I posted this on the Pen Making forum, but was told this is a better place to post it, so here it is....

Attachments

• DSCF3473.jpg
    DSCF3473.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Ken...Very nice turning and finish on your pens. I REALLY like your idea of using a pinned burl as a display stand and think it's the perfect display for such nice pens!
Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

OZturner

Ken, Nice display stand.
I would have liked to see your pens, but it is near impossible with the photograph. Your list of materials used is most interesting.
As a suggestion why not pick one or two and photograph them alone so that we can view, and comment?
Regards,
Brian

Ambidex

I like your pens, especially the buckeye burl. Am I the only one thinking that the display may have some extraordinary blanks inside?:wink: It is a nice display but I agree with Brian it's a distraction and makes it hard to really see the pens.

kglass

I basically made the stand so I could display pans at shows along with other turnings. It does seem to draw people to the pens. This way they feel comfortable picking up the pens and looking at them. I am sure there are some great pens in the Maple Burl Cap, but I have lots of Maple Burl Blanks to choose from, so to me, its not a big deal.
I have collected a large box of Blanks for stoppers and alike over the several years I have been turning and the choices abound.....

longbeard

Nice looking group of pens Ken. I like the display also, ahould draw attention to your pens.

Harry ( welcome to the madness ) M

Bob Wemm

Great group of Pens and I love the Stand. Great idea.
I agree with a couple of comments, it would be good to see the pens by themselves and also in the stand.
Thanks for showing.

Bob.

Top Bottom