First few attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mallory

Mallory

I've turned 7 or 8 pens so far - hopefully have improved a bit so far. But still MUCH more to learn. I'm learning many things with each pen; sand axially, skew chisel better than gouge, friction polish gives natural but not durable finish to name a few. The last thread I read was the $500+ pen thread. Currently my pens are probably worth less than the sum of their parts [emoji15]

I've identified that the next main thing that will improve things (as well as working a lot on the basics of turning technique) is a good way to square the blanks. PSI jig and barrel trimmers seem to get a bad rep so I think I'll go for a home made disc sander jig.

Here goes ... gentle constructive criticism welcomed.

c30e38214f9a14bcaad69114b24d3eae.jpg
7299b3ad2eaa8d48b43b3fd6d507984e.jpg

Cigar pen - spalted maple - centre band fit is dreadful - tube not straight through blank and ends squares to side of blank and not tube. Friction polish finish starting to wear after 2-3 months daily use.

d68d0e21911fc093743c8354ed363e03.jpg
dec3de4e54ce7a159d83155bbaaf7813.jpg

Modified slimline - Bocote with maple accent - reasonable fit. Next time will keep straighter profile on maple centre band for a more European style look.

41bde62a89bf4c6ef3752e3eca96d9a7.jpg

Jr Gent fountain pen - stabilised box elder burl - like the blank and the fit/profile are satisfactory I think.

Lots more room for improvement - I should have at least another 4 decades to get it right!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mallory

Also apologies for the photos - not a great photographer and taken on my iPhone until I eventually get round to getting a 'proper' camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewishman

The first few pens are always the worst. Your pens look pretty good.

Isn't it funny that the mistakes I make on a pen are so obvious, glaring even, to me, that I cannot understand how other people don't even see them.

OZturner

Mallory, I can not find much to provide Constructive Criticism for.
OK on one pen you have enlarged a Photograph, of the Nib End that shows, a slight oversize, But you have recognized that, and I dare say that, in the Future, you will turn and finish closer to the Bushing Dimension.
I Like what I see, and I see an Excellent Future for you in Pen Turning.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

Dale Lynch

Looks like a good start going for ya.To get the best fit possible don't rely on bushings.They will get you really close most of the time but there is variation of a couple thousands with the parts sometimes.It is best to measure the parts themselves and finish to those dimentions.Some like me turn between centers one barrel at a time while others will use finishing bushings on a mandrel to do both barrels after the initial turning is done.There are probably some other ways too but I'm stuck in mine cause it works for me.

Mallory

A belated welcome to you, Mallory !!!!

Your first pens look pretty good !!!!

Hey ... can you post a link to that $500+ pen thread, please ... I can't find it.

Or is it this one ? :biggrin: ...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/first-few-attempts-145726/

No, seriously ... I can't find it.

Ha - I think my pens would be worth $5 or less! Just as well I'm only doing it as a hobby for now, although it would be nice to sell some to cover costs in a few years when I've got practice under my belt.

I had stumbled across this post (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f17/asked-before-but-what-heck-132687/) so it is just humbling to see how much time, effort and skill that the pen turning doyens put into a pen. Something to aim for ultimately ... and then fall short. At least if the sights are set high then falling short might still be somewhere half decent!

Top Bottom