First attempt at casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbostian

jbostian

I finally tried casting for the first time the other day and got around to turning it tonight. I think it went pretty well for my first attempt and I learned some things that I am sure will make the next one better. It is supposed to be green with gold swirls. The green came out how I wanted but the gold swirls aren't as noticable as I had hoped. I should have let the resin set up a little longer before I swirled the colors. Anyway on to the pics. Thanks for looking.

Jamie

Attachments

• firstcast2.jpg
    firstcast2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 235
  • firstcast3.jpg
    firstcast3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbostian

Looks Good Jamie!:biggrin: I think my first cast ended up in the dust bin.:eek:

Yeah I was a little afraid that is where mine would end up when I finally started mixing the resin. My only real goal on my first attempt was to be able to make a finished pen out of it. I was able to do that and I think it looks pretty decent too.:)

Jamie

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think it looks good Jamie . Didn't know you were into this mfg. stuff . I'm looking forward to seeing more . Nice pen !

Padre

My first cast, and 2nd, and 3rd ended up in the trash, so you are doing great.

I like the green and gold motif as well. Keep up the good work.

very nice.... especially for your first go at it. I like the colors you chose and the swirl effect you achieved is subtle but attractive. keep posting your pics.

Oh yeah, the pen looks very nice as well.

jbostian

Thanks all for the comments.

Jamie pen looks great !!!
when casting what material did you use?

I used Silmar 41 from US Composites. I got the pigments from my dad. He works at a paint manufacture and he got me a few samples of the pigments they use. I will see if I can find more info on the pigments.

Jamie

Mark

I like it a lot. The swirls are just enough to set it off. I like the green too.
That's a very nice pen.

oops99

Hey Jamie,

Looks like you've been at it for some time, I think it came out beautiful.
If you don't mind me asking, how much of a total investment would you say you have into it just to get started?
This is something that I have been thinking about for some time now, I would love to try it but don't want to buy more than I have to, I have a habit of doing that.

Tom/oops99

jbostian

Hey Jamie,

Looks like you've been at it for some time, I think it came out beautiful.
If you don't mind me asking, how much of a total investment would you say you have into it just to get started?
This is something that I have been thinking about for some time now, I would love to try it but don't want to buy more than I have to, I have a habit of doing that.

Tom/oops99

I really don't have too much invested in it so far. I got a gallon of the Silmar 41 resin for around $40 including shipping. I got the pigments for free from my dad. I had the cups and craft sticks for mixing the resin. I don't have a good mold yet though. There is an article in the library that shows you how to make a mold using silicone caulk. I am planning on making a few of those soon. I figure it will cost me about $15 to make the molds. So I will only have around $55 invested. If you have to buy pigments they can get expensive depending what kind you use. I am not sure how long I will be able to get free pigments from my dad, so I may have to invest in some of those in the future.

Jamie

jttheclockman

Jamie you did good for the first time and it does become addictive somewhat. Just a note though when using the resin, either wear some protective mask or do it in a well vented area. That stuff can give you a headache. Also depending on how you are doing the casting, if you are making a block or just one at a time., it would be better to buy some ready made molds. You really are not saving anything. That green is a nice color. Maybe add a little black for the secondary color or even white. Keep up the good work and thanks for showing.

Top Bottom