First attempt at a CA/BLO finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ROOKIETURNER

ROOKIETURNER

This is my 12th pen and I wanted to try a CA/BLO finish. I really love the look. I need a little more practice, but all in all not bad for just watching a few videos. Thanks to Russ Fairfield!!!

1_DSC03731sm.jpg
1_DSC03730sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Really good job! You are off to a great start. I use CA/BLO on almost all my pens these days. One thing to remember is that the glass-like finish of the CA/BLO shows all that's underneath just as glass does. So I usually try to make my wood finish just as smooth and glass-like as the CA/BLO. A buffer is very useful for this purpose.

Last tip... make sure that the CA goes on first and BLO second. BLO touching the wood must dry (hours or days time) or you will cloud your CA finish.

Rock On!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Daniel

The finish looks good. Watch those ends. I am not sure if it is the curve you put at the nib or if it actually got discolored. Light wood is horrible and I always have problems where the bushing meets the wood leaving a small band. For me the CA tends to get thicker right at that point. It requires a litle more work if it can be cleaned up at all.
I would also suggest you start looking at some of the fanciers, and more expensive materials if you are selling your pens. You work is good enough that it would benefit from some of the fancier stuff and they sell a whole lot better. Now keep in mind that comment just came from someone that made 100 pens with just plain old straight grain wood. I still have found the burls and acrylics sell much faster. i can't keep Amboyna or Buckeye burl in stock.

ROOKIETURNER

Thanks for the feed back. I used a cheap peice of maple to experiment with. I would hate to blow a nice burl on the first shot.

As for the shape, it;s not the picture so much, I am also experiemtning on design. I am finding out thought that the simpler the design, the nicer looking the pen.

And the darker end was a mystery to me. I can only guess that it is the end grain soaking up more CA. Is that just a sanding issue? I only went up to 600. Should I go to 12000mm before finishing?

Top Bottom