Exothermal Tribal aluminium Gent.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

The second exothermal pen i have etched, which i think may have just become my new carry pen. :) This time with a tribal pattern, and a better shine to the aluminium.

Im still experimenting with tehniques at the mo, but i am happy with the "how to do the etching" part of the process, just want to tweak some things with regards to the fill.

Mike Roux, in answer to our question - no. lol. I will get that look we are after.

Heres a pic after etching:
12122_302730639833618_680579971_n.jpg

Background spray painted black, and then clear resin applied on the rotisserie.

Sanded back down and polished as before.

Thanks for looking.

Keep your fingers crossed for me... trying something a little bit special next.

Attachments

• 155940_371274079630931_1628006099_n.jpg
    155940_371274079630931_1628006099_n.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 487080_371274089630930_1353972963_n.jpg
    487080_371274089630930_1353972963_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 484261_371274026297603_1976008255_n.jpg
    484261_371274026297603_1976008255_n.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 323

Kretzky

I like that! "Trying something special next".... like these are so boring, ordinary & mundane :wink:
Incredible work Brad, keep it up!

Brooks803

I agree with Steven. Anything like this would be perfect for the PMG. I'm so intrigued with not just the pen but the entire process! It's the kind of stuff I lay in bed dreaming about. Just WOW!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Yet another beauty Brad. I had entertained the notion of doing something like this, following your lead. But, I think it's a bit too involved for me. I'll just enjoy your works of art.:wink:

BradG

Hi Brad, fantastic pen again. You seem to really have this nailed now!!

Eric...
Getting there! still a couple of puzzles to solve but its all good :biggrin: something new to get stuck into at least

I like that! "Trying something special next".... like these are so boring, ordinary & mundane :wink:
Incredible work Brad, keep it up!

It will either work, or it will really look crap. lol.... will see.

Holy Smokes Brad !!! That is just wild!! I love it!!!

Do yourself a big favour. Keep your next creation under wraps and submit it to PMG. I have no doubt that you would easily become the second UK member!!:wink:

I was touring with the idea of submitting the last one? I wasnt sure if it was a criteria to keep it secret before submitting it etc.. not an issue if thats the case have way too many designs in my head as a result of this method.

I agree with Steven. Anything like this would be perfect for the PMG. I'm so intrigued with not just the pen but the entire process! It's the kind of stuff I lay in bed dreaming about. Just WOW!

Thanks Jonathon, you should try it some day, with your casting skills im sure you could pull out some amazing work.

Yet another beauty Brad. I had entertained the notion of doing something like this, following your lead. But, I think it's a bit too involved for me. I'll just enjoy your works of art.:wink:

Its alot easier than the anodising process and you guys cracked that with a little trial and error. I think you should try it ;) at least watch the tutorial (going to start filming it this weekend) and then decide if its for you or not.

Old Lar

That is a great pen. I can hardly wait for the tutorial. My wife thought it was great as well, but just shook her head when I said I would like to try that.

BradG

haha Mike, i'l be filming that over the weekend as i make the third. think i best order some more aluminium bar in the morning...

jttheclockman

The 2 pens using this method are really cool and have created adifferent look to pen blanks. Very well crafted. I think you maybe able to start your own line of pens. It looks like the designs are endless. You may very well be onto something. Maybe you should pattened some parts of this process or something.

If you are going to continue sharing your ideas with this process and I hope you do, there maybe a need for another subforum under blank making. Could be worth considering.

Thanks for showing and keep up the great work. Thinking outside the box is definetly words to be used in your case. Great work.

BradG

Good thing, im digging slow rpm motors out now. May Have to go rob the BBQ.

Attack a microwave :wink: The turntable motor is perfect.

The 2 pens using this method are really cool and have created adifferent look to pen blanks. Very well crafted. I think you maybe able to start your own line of pens. It looks like the designs are endless. You may very well be onto something. Maybe you should pattened some parts of this process or something.

If you are going to continue sharing your ideas with this process and I hope you do, there maybe a need for another subforum under blank making. Could be worth considering.

Thanks for showing and keep up the great work. Thinking outside the box is definetly words to be used in your case. Great work.

I always try and do something a little different if i can to breathe a little fresh air into my hobbies. I tend to find that if i do the same ol thing over and over i grow tired of it pretty quick. While i fully appreciate every piece of wood has its own character in the way the grain rolls, i as a metal turner can live in a pretty bland world with only the amount of polishing to go off, or with anodising what colour is applied.

This is the first door of many into the world of chemical processes and pen turning. This demonstrates on how aluminium can be worked, it doesnt show what happens if you zincate the piece afterwards, then copper plate, then chrome/black chrome or gold plate, antique brass, bronze, or copper.... that should give you a hint as to what direction this is going. these pieces are merely the foundation of the blank.

One of the finest pens I have ever seen!

Thanks for your kind words.

ericd

The design possibilities with that technique are staggering. Excellent work. Congratulations.
Eric

bluwolf

Brad, you know that the concept is good when everyone likes the prototypes, and it's still not the the way you want it:biggrin:

Mike

AurelianC

Amazing job.
What solution did you use on the etching? Is that ferrous sulfate?
I tried the copper sulfate and salt solution but my method of masking did not work very well (I guess I got to ambitious with the small details).
There are 2 examples in my gallery IAP Home - Photos - Member Photo Albums
How did you do your masking? Did you cut your design on a cutter plotter?
I'll shut up and wait the tutorial.

jttheclockman

I like when people are are all waiting for tutorials but how many actually go out and buy all the chemicals, plotter and whatevere else is needed and give it a try. I believe Brad you have the market cornered and your designs are safe. Good luck with this venture. Maybe we will see your pens sold right next to the Mount Blancs of the world.

Sawdust46

Some of us do go out and buy all the ingredients and try things. I have two processes I am working on now and have been researching etching to be the third. If and when I have the processes down pat I will gladly share my what I have learned if anyone is interested. If you have seen me at any of my shows you know I am open about how I do things. I know we have some new members as a result of talking with me at a show. Brad, I would love to know your process if you would like to share it. If not I understand.

BradG

I like when people are are all waiting for tutorials but how many actually go out and buy all the chemicals, plotter and whatevere else is needed and give it a try. I believe Brad you have the market cornered and your designs are safe. Good luck with this venture. Maybe we will see your pens sold right next to the Mount Blancs of the world.

Ah but that would mean turning pens for money and thats not something i will ever do :wink: Sure ive sold a couple, though they have come to me with a I want that pen kind of attitude, but i couldnt invest so much as an oz of effort into marketing a product i turned, as that would be against the very reason why i started turning in the first place. I setup shop because i burned my candle to non existance working a full time job, running a company, and launching three new products at the same time from scratch. Silly, but i thought heads going west from too much work was all mumbo jumbo for weak minded people etc... i got my wake up call when it turned around and bitchslapped me in a big way. The rules were i could setup the shop to give me some space for R&R away from the grindstone, on the condition i didnt sway it into a money making enterprise.

lol Mike, and il keep pecking your head until your making them :biggrin:

Some of us do go out and buy all the ingredients and try things. I have two processes I am working on now and have been researching etching to be the third. If and when I have the processes down pat I will gladly share my what I have learned if anyone is interested. If you have seen me at any of my shows you know I am open about how I do things. I know we have some new members as a result of talking with me at a show. Brad, I would love to know your process if you would like to share it. If not I understand.

Cant see any reason why not to share it? :) its not like we're competing. Besides that theres always the chance someone may expand upon the concept and come up with something even greater. And other than that ive done it now :biggrin: im progressing onto other processes.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks Brad. :good::good::good:
I just watched it and you explained and demo'd the processes expertly!!

I have to do dad's taxi and take my duaghter to work but I've got a couple of questions. I'll watch it again before asking though.:biggrin:
Many thanks !!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Nice tutorial Brad, can you post your vinyl sticker contact or at least see if he will offer his services through Iap? Does the purity of the copper added make a difference? I have powdered copper. Are there any containers you should use to work and store in, any you should not? Would stainless work as a cruciable. Can you use a better looking chap for your tutorials.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom