The Entry that wasn't

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
This would have been my entry in the component pen contest for the MAPG, but since I cant be there I'll show it off here. I used leather and maple for the blank and paired it up with a copper Wall Street II click. The leather was glued together on the tube with white glue and the maple was glued with epoxy. I let the blank set for a few days so the white glue would harden. I used a roughing gouge and carbide cutter to shape the blank and sanded to 12000 mm. I finished with about 20 coats of WTF and after about a week I polished with Hut Plastic polish. This was a bit of a challenging project as the leather and maple turned at different rates. I'm happy with the way it came out and I think I would of had a good chance at winning. I shot the photos with different color backgrounds let me know which looks best. All C & C are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That's GORGEOUS, Dan !!!! .. I like the picture with the green background best.

Did you use 2 different colors of leather ? ... looks that way.

How long do you wait between coats of WTF ?

Does the Hut bring out much of a shine ? ... looks somewhat matte in the pics.

Great work !!!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the great comment's. Mal the Hut did bring out more shine but it's not showing in the photo. I'll try to get some better shots.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you Stepan and William for those very nice comment's. I like working with the leather blanks. Evelyn had a pen in mind using some of the leather I have. Oh Mal I did use two different colors of leather. I picked it up in Richmond last year we found a leather shop when we took a wrong turn.

D.Oliver

Dan, she is going to catch on when all your wrong turns end up at places like leather shops and Woodcrafts.:tongue:

Charlie_W

Sure missed you and Evelyn tonight Dan!
Your pen is definitely top notch! Nice clean crisp segmenting! I like it!
It would be a fitting pen to be in the contests!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you very much, Derek, Mitch, vakvere, Charlie and Bill for your wonderful comment's. Derek as long as no one tell her I should be OK and besides she like Woodcraft too, Mitch your right about leather blanks being touch to assemble sometimes but the final out come is worth it. We missed seeing you and everyone else. Tell everyone I said hello.

OZturner

Spectacular Pen Dan,
Love the Combination of the Copper, Leather, and White Maple,
Superb Fit and Finish.
I prefer the Green Background, for these colour choices, as it makes the Pen Sharper. (preferably without the shadows from the creases).
Great Work and Congratulations, Dan.
Brian

Top Bottom