An Empress In Striped Pyjamas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I did a very similar stripey arrangement a few years ago with a Panache pen, but I couldn't balance the stripes properly. This Empress kit is far more accurate although I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't have ignored the cb in the setup. ( I did ignore it here )

This is the first time I've used this kit and I am amazed at the amount of meat on the body!!! This would be an ideal pen for casting stuff in!! It's around 4mm thick.

Back to work tomorrow.....:frown:

Ooops.....it's actually an Empress, not a Princess Kit. From Axminster UK

Attachments

• PrincessInStripedPyjamasClosed.jpg
    PrincessInStripedPyjamasClosed.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 656
  • PrincessInStripedPyjamasOpen.jpg
    PrincessInStripedPyjamasOpen.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

terryf

Stunning Steven, I saw your previous one and this is definitely the better of the two.

Must have been a good few hours work on that blank alone.
Thanks for sharing :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Stunning Steven, I saw your previous one and this is definitely the better of the two.

Howzit Terry !!:biggrin:
It took me longer to decide on the thickness of the stripes than to cut them and make the pen. :redface:

Here are a pic of the blanks and one of the kit that shows the differance between the body and cap tube.

Attachments

• EmpressKit.jpg
    EmpressKit.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 351
  • PrincessBlanks.jpg
    PrincessBlanks.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 350

wiset1

Really great transition between the colors on this one Steven. There's an obvious balance to the pen and it looks amazing. I read on a kit review that there was a lot of open space on the lower barrel for casting on these kits. Still waiting to see what people do...perfect for spiders and scorpions I would imagine.

terryf

So this is the slightly smaller version of the full size Emperor??

Howzit Terry !!:biggrin:
It took me longer to decide on the thickness of the stripes than to cut them and make the pen. :redface:

Here are a pic of the blanks and one of the kit that shows the differance between the body and cap tube.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Interesting question, so I just checked. The diameters and lengths are the same. The threads don't match and of course the tubes are different.
The kit pattern is 'similar' but of course there is no pimp stone on the Emperor. This Emperor is one of the numbered limited edition ones but I think it's the same as a regular one.

Attachments

• Emperor&Empress.jpg
    Emperor&Empress.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 340

terryf

Thanks for the trouble - doesnt seem like theres any difference between the two.

Just one question though, if theyre the same diameter and length, how do the tubes differ? Are they thinner, coming back to your comment re the 4mm of meat on them?

Interesting question, so I just checked. The diameters and lengths are the same. The threads don't match and of course the tubes are different.
The kit pattern is 'similar' but of course there is no pimp stone on the Emperor. This Emperor is one of the numbered limited edition ones but I think it's the same as a regular one.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just one question though, if theyre the same diameter and length, how do the tubes differ? Are they thinner, coming back to your comment re the 4mm of meat on them?

They say a picture says it all:wink:
I never thought I'd have to take a hammer and transfer punch to my one and only Ltd Ed Emperor !!!:eek::biggrin:

Edit in; I didn't want to keep bumping this thread to answer Terry's question below;
Neither with any ink, pump etc. Emperor = 41g body + 34g cap = 75g. Empress = 37g body = 32g cap = 69g. As both blanks are PR, I can only guess that the 6g difference is from the metal. I would have expected the Empress body to be more due to the extra blank thickness.

Attachments

• EmpressEmperorComparison.jpg
    EmpressEmperorComparison.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

terryf

They say a picture says it all:wink:
I never thought I'd have to take a hammer and transfer punch to my one and only Ltd Ed Emperor !!!:eek::biggrin:

LOL, thanks Steven, the trouble is appreciated! Its a massive difference eh? I wonder what the reasoning behind it was - a bit more weight perhaps, as if it isn't heavy enough as it was :) :)

Thanks again, you can put them all back together now :biggrin: :biggrin:

Woodlvr

WOW. Skip you just keep it up don't you? :wink: . That is a beautiful blank and the way you spaced it makes it really eye catching. LOML says when are you going to make a pen like that, gee Thanks. :) that is a very striking pen, great job.

Mike

PenPal

Steven,

The Empress does wear clothes that uniformly hold the pen together IMHO that includes the Centre Band, since the probabilities exceed the practical if one was to debate the merits of colour, spacing, bands (always controversial),crystals, manufacturing quality it would all detract from your original design that I like so much.

Being first always will be the winner that carries the gold medal, headwinds,heat conditions,summer or winter affecting the finish etc all aside and unimportant faced with this your Pen.

Looking at the separated pen I marvel at your controlled spacing, complete devotion to detail and quality turning.

Trust the Northern Winter is kind to you, we are sitting in 35 degrees C warming up to a proper summer after a milder start than average here.

Thankyou for showing your pen another winner to add to your showcase.

Kind regards Peter.

ctubbs

Steven, it is so wonderful to have you back. Your work is always stunning and you are so willing to share all the tweaks and other hidden information with us all, information that in itself makes a grand tutorial. Thank you for your skill and generosity.
Charles

PenMan1

Nice job, Skip!

I live you pen, I just can't get excited about this hardware.

Nope, black threads. Also the clip and CB embellishments are not quite the same (in quality, at least).

The JR Emperor still has the gold or Rhodium threads, no centerband "thingy" and resembles the Emperor except of size and no pimp stone.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Steven, I've learned to look at all the posts in your threads. Always seems to be more surprises.:biggrin: I like the Empress. Your segments were well thought out and, executed. Another nice creation.

wiset1

Beautiful pen !!! I really liked your segmented Panache pen but this one is definitely over the top!! Doc:)

Had to look through your entire IAP Gallery to find that pen...well worth looking through your body of work by the way! I have to say...they are both fantastic, but I kind of favor the Panache...if I had to pick:wink:

BradG

4mm thick you say.... thanks for the info ;) thats just what im looking for.

Beautiful pen by the way. Great work... the bolt pen you posted the other day was quite an eye catcher too may have to try my hand at that some day.

Have you noticed the CNC lathe & mills Axminster have started to do? could be fun to have in the shop!

BradG

very cool Steven! Never get tired of seeing your creations. I'd like the kit if they didn't have that stupid crystal in it! WHY WHY WHY?!??!

Jonathan we could always pop the crystal out, strip it a little, solder it, copper plate it, chrome plate it. would just be a flat circle then :cool:

Toni

Great looking pen Stephen!!( :mad: V !!! ) Love it!!

Hey gorgeous, what's it like to be back home??? I hear you left a bit of a mess behind in NZ........and some broken hearts too no doubt!!!!:biggrin:

LOL...We have been here for 6 months and I still feel out of water its a shock being back home. Broken hearts in New Zealand yep left a few:wink:I left a huge mess in New Zealand:devil:as well. Wont be the same without me there....LOL

OKLAHOMAN

Skippy as always even your component pens leave us in envy. Brooks, and all who asked the Spring Bloosom is the same as the Empress but with out the dreaded pimp crystal.Both are only avalible as Rollerball as the bottom tube is to skinny for a fountain pen feed system.

very cool Steven! Never get tired of seeing your creations. I'd like the kit if they didn't have that stupid crystal in it! WHY WHY WHY?!??!

Last edited:

BradG

very nice mate, I like the original and this one

Edit: you know i thought i was getting Dejavu ... just clocked the date of the thread :biggrin: still a ncie pen though

Last edited:
Top Bottom