It didn't blow up!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from creativewriting

The blank is stamped and painted polymer clay cast in PR. I am not a huge fan of the color, but that is the easiest part to change. The blank was made by rolling polymer onto a tube, stamping, and then painting with chalk inks.

4742989395_60db41d915.jpg

I recently started a thread over in the casting forum documenting my first attempt at casting. This is the second of the blanks from the batch. I had never turned acylic or PR before and blew a big chunk out of the first one.

I have also attached a photo of the stamp this was made from. Thank you for looking and as always comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Nicely done and an original application of stamping for sure. I tried, but can't figure out what document that stamp reproduces. Wanna Share?

James

James, I have no idea. There is not a single word on there I can make out. I just thought it looked cool. A postal stamp is one of the more eye catching parts of the stamp and I captured it on my cap. I have another stamp with music notes, but can't find the sweet spot. The spacing of the design has to work just right or you have an ugly seam area. Not attractive!

Doc, The stamping and coloring part is easy. I used a very neutral color of clay to start (cream) and wrapped the tube. For this one I left it well below the bushings due to the fact I was going to cast it. The rubber stamp is one I picked up on sale at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. To color the blank I used liquid chalk inks (any craft store) used for stamping. I grabbed some of my wifes makeup sponges and dabbed different colors on the raw tube. When I got the look I wanted I inked the stamp with a standard permanent stamp ink. The key is to find what I call the "sweet spot". It is the area of the stamp where the designs will match up after a complete revolution. It is hard to find a stamp that will not give you some type of seam or area where the design looks out of whack. Genlty roll the tube over the stamp. Don't press to hard (it will take a little practice). Once you get your design bake it and wha la!

JohnU

Great idea and very well executed! That pen looks Awesome. I love the color and the finished pen looks great.... Very Elegant and Rich!

renowb

I like the color, too! it looks like original parchment type paper! Cool!

OKLAHOMAN

Keith, just goes to show what is new to some is old to others, your clear casting over poly clay about 3 1/2 years ago is now being revived.

As much as I would like to take credit it wouldn't be right. When I was inducted into the pen makers guild I noticed another member (Patricia Lawson) had several cast polymer clay pens in her gallery. That is what got my motor spinning. She was doing polymer clay pens long before Toni and I. If you really dug deep I'm sure you could find examples of pens made this way long before Pat and before the IAP was off the ground. Who and when shouldn't make a difference. The conversations should be about how does this method add another dimension to pen making and how do we as a community take it to the next level.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Rather than resurrecting a 3 year old thread, it might be better to start a new topic and reference the old thread with a link. At least that's what is generally accepted forum etiquette.

Top Bottom