"Custom-cast" PR pens (Big Pic warning)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from neurotictim

neurotictim

Well, with a lil prompting, I decided to see if I could do something a little different. I've a decent hand at Photoshop, and I had a friend request a pen, just for her, that had her name (Starr) and stars on it. I got to thinking about the possibilities, and did a LOT of research in the IAP library, and this is what I ended up with.

(The pictures won't win any awards, so forgive the dust/minor focus/lighting if you please)

SDC11621.jpg

I learned a LOT just from casting this one - Like the need to paint the tubes white, how to seal off the inside of the tubes (modeling clay got too warm and melted during curing) and how to space the designs.

Next was this one - someone stole the Birdseye Maple Screwcap I made for her, engraved with her name no less - so I made Kokopelli-themed Sedona.

SDC11648.jpg

She was SO pleased with this pen that she asked me to do one for her husband, and one for her dad, for Father's Day.

Husband's Navy-themed pen, with all the commands he's been in:

SDC11666.jpg

SDC11672.jpg

(The nib is a little proud of the lower barrell assembly, but for a last-minute gift, I feel like it's not that bad. If this were a paying customer, I wouldn't have let it go out like that.)

And Dad's Philadelphia Eagles-themed pen:

SDC11650.jpg

SDC11653.jpg

SDC11670.jpg

I think I'm almost ready to start offering these as options on my website.

:D It's a lot of fun, working with this stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TX_Planes

Nooooo not another great set of custom cast pens. I will not get pulled into this vortex. Must resist.

Just amazing. I continue to be amazed at what you all produce. You should be proud of your work.

jttheclockman

Very well done on all accounts. The labels came out well and good job of casting. Thanks for showing and I am guesssing they were all big hits.

bitshird

Very good, did you make decals, or do labels? they all look real nice too bad about the undersized nib, I use to find quite a few of them in some kits :biggrin:

neurotictim

Thanks for all the nice comments. :D

Yeah, they went over really well. Dad now wants me to make a Patriots-themed pen for a co-worker of his... Which leads me to wondering about copyright infringement and licensing... :hmm:

If there's enough interest, I may make a tutorial... For the folks interested in how I'm doing it.

neurotictim

Very good, did you make decals, or do labels? they all look real nice too bad about the undersized nib, I use to find quite a few of them in some kits :biggrin:

I actually used Photoshop to design them, sized to just fit around the barrels. I painted the tubes satin white (to prevent the spotted effect on the Starr pen), printed the designs out on standard sticker paper, rolled the labels onto the barrels, and cast them. Then it's just turning like normal, though at a slower speed than acrylic or wood.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
T. Which leads me to wondering about copyright infringement and licensing... :hmm:

The less said, the better. There is definitely a copyright on the images, and
some organizations are more aggressive than others. If the NFL will go after
churches for having Super Bowl parties, I'm sure they wouldn't give anyone
permission to use the logos.

For that matter, stop making any plain brown pens. They might claim a
copyright infringement of the Cleveland logo..

ps ... I forgot to say .. they look great :biggrin:

Last edited:

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Those are awesome and, unfortunately, give me more ideas for use of my non-existent "spare" time! :cool:

But I second the request for a tutorial! :biggrin:

whteglve

WOW Real nice! I really like the Navy pen since my dad was an avionics electrician for the "Fighting 31" during Vietnam. I might have to try something like that for him.

rb765

Wow. I was thinking of making a retirement pen for a friend. This might be a nice way of making it a unique pen. As per Photoshop, I am having a lot harder time navigating CS4 than in did in good ole Photoshop 5, but this may be worth trying. A tutorial would be great.

neurotictim

I've got a tutorial in work. Most of you guys (and gals) will see how it's done and go, "Really? That's it?"

Heather thinks I should keep it a "trade secret," so I'll just sneak it on here for you all. :D ;)

neurotictim

Okay, so how does one go about posting a tutorial? I've got one done, and while it's not the best, it gets the ideas across... But I'm not sure where to put it.

*EDIT* Thought I'd include some more eye-candy.

SDC11711.jpg

Top Bottom