A couple of Euros

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from altaciii

altaciii

Here are a couple of Euros I turned late this evening. I'm sure that Ed4copies would have liked to find antler this white. The first is whitetail deer antler polished to 12k mm and finished with ca/blo. Titanium gold hardware. The second is amboyna with blk titanium same finish. All comments welcome.

Attachments

• antlerivoryeuro.jpg
    antlerivoryeuro.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC07418.JPG
    DSC07418.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

When you are making Euros, do you apply the CA before or after you cut the tenon? I've struggled with this. If you cut it before finishing, you get CA in the joint. If you cut it after finishing, you get a scuffed edge and run the risk of needing to sand back through the CA to make the centerband fit.

I like Euros, but since I switched to CA, I've found them to be a real pain to get finished. Thanks.

altaciii

When you are making Euros, do you apply the CA before or after you cut the tenon? I've struggled with this. If you cut it before finishing, you get CA in the joint. If you cut it after finishing, you get a scuffed edge and run the risk of needing to sand back through the CA to make the centerband fit.

I like Euros, but since I switched to CA, I've found them to be a real pain to get finished. Thanks.

I love turning Euros, they are my best seller. The tenon can be a problem though. I apply a coat of ren wax on the end of the blank before turning, that way it coats the bushing. After turning to size, I slide the ring and cover the tenon and apply the ca/blo. The renwax on the ring will keep the ca from bonding it to the blank. I also use my exacto knife to carve two small notches at the base of the tenon to give the glue something else to hold and make a stronger bond. The worst thing for me is to sell a pen to a cust and have it come back because the center band has broken its bond and spins freely on the pen. It can be annoying to the buyer and it makes him feel like he bought an inferior product.
Hope that helps

Top Bottom