Cocobolo and Blood Wood Aluminum Scallops.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

I was over at Alton GreenMtGuy's house last week to cut up some wood. He was cutting up some Cocobolo and I just had to have some so he relented and sold me a few precious pieces. This stuff is very tight grained and just beautifully figured. Ok so here is a list of parts.

Main Wood: Cocobolo ala Alton
Scallops: Blood Wood
Segments: Aluminum and Pick Guard
Main Glue for Segments: UFO Thick by Hot Stuff (no breaks at all)
Tube Glue: epoxy

il_570xN.461864859_m5rs.jpg

il_570xN.461858628_365r.jpg

I hope you like it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

That is some nice cocobolo. I like the pick guard material too.

You continue to set the bar high.

As a note of personal preference, I kind of like a simpler center band better on these beautiful pens, as you've done in several others.

Last edited:

ossaguy

Hitting the Wow button!

I think this one is your best one yet,if that's possable.It's just incredible,Mike!

Way to go!

Steve

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very, very striking. I've loved all your recent segmented pens but I think this is my favourite so far. Well done Mike. :)

Dan Masshardt

Mike - I guess this could be a PM but, are you using different thicknesses of the pick guard or doubling up in some spots? The top of the cap looks thin comparatively. I like both of the thicknesses - just wondering.

Also, does the pick guard at the end of the blanks add strength against blowouts when drilling and turning?

Thanks for inspiring!

I am not using different thicknesses. It is not easy to get an exact glue up and sometimes you have to sand away more than you would like to. So in order to get away with it you need to choose wisely. If I have a thin spot in a cap it always goes near the clip. This way it is at least somewhat hidden and not right in the middle of the pen when it has the cap on. If it is on the main barrel I would put it on the end of the finial because again I don't want it to be in the middle of the pen when the cap is on. Most people present their pens with the cap on so if common sense prevails you will protect that configuration at all costs.

Yes the pick guard is on the ends to protect against blowouts if I didn't use pick guard I would find something else. You really can get away without it but you really have to be careful those pieces of scallop are very small maybe leave a bit of extra at each end.. I am trimming these segments very close to the limits.

You are really getting all of my secrets here I hope you are happy.:biggrin:

Mike - I guess this could be a PM but, are you using different thicknesses of the pick guard or doubling up in some spots? The top of the cap looks thin comparatively. I like both of the thicknesses - just wondering.

Also, does the pick guard at the end of the blanks add strength against blowouts when drilling and turning?

Thanks for inspiring!

Dan Masshardt

Don't worry Mike- I won't tell any of the other members here. ;-)

That is helpful info. I'm not ready to start segmenting much yet, but when I do, I'd rather not make more mistakes than I have to!

Thanks.

jttheclockman

Don't worry Mike- I won't tell any of the other members here. ;-)

That is helpful info. I'm not ready to start segmenting much yet, but when I do, I'd rather not make more mistakes than I have to!

Thanks.

Just so you know there are many many many ways of doing segmenting work. Scallops or any other types of segmenting. So if you do get into segmenting and I hope you do, try different things and you may even come up with something of your own style. Mike has a style as you can see from his many different segmented pens. He has shown you his way but he has also told everyone to experiment. Use what he has shared with us and expand. Hope others will join in the fun. :)

Dan Masshardt

Just so you know there are many many many ways of doing segmenting work. Scallops or any other types of segmenting. So if you do get into segmenting and I hope you do, try different things and you may even come up with something of your own style. Mike has a style as you can see from his many different segmented pens. He has shown you his way but he has also told everyone to experiment. Use what he has shared with us and expand. Hope others will join in the fun. :)

Thanks. I have no desire to copy anyone's style. But info on glueing, preventing blowouts and aesthetics in general will be valuable regardless of style.

And I don't want to hijack Mike's thread anymore than I already have!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Thanks. I have no desire to copy anyone's style. But info on glueing, preventing blowouts and aesthetics in general will be valuable regardless of style.

And I don't want to hijack Mike's thread anymore than I already have!

Dan it is not a case of hijacking the thread. You mentioned you may want to try segmenting and I just wanted to point out there are other ways to glue things to cut things and to combine materials. Doing segmenting you will have blowouts but you learn from them. Like I said I hope to see what you come up with.

Back to your regularly schedule programing.:)

I agree with John 100% we all have blowouts but you learn from them and try not to do it again. There are many ways to glue and to cut for segmenting. I had many failures but was able to move forward in spite of them but I learned from all of them.

I think the most important part of this discussion is the free and open sharing but that needs to be all of us. If you find a new way to do something post it. Don't worry if some is going to use it. While they are using what you have shown you are improving and trying more new stuff.

Don't worry on any of my threads about hijacking the thread. If a discussion is helpful and instructional please have at it. I will likely just join right in.

SDB777

Great looking pen! The segmenting is off the chart great!

I would like to hear more about, "Main Glue for Segments: UFO Thick by Hot Stuff (no breaks at all)"?

-Where did you get it?
-Are you only using it for segmenting pieces?
-What's the set-up time like?
-Are there any of those terrible fumes(like with CA)?

Scott (keep 'um comin'!!!) B

Please see below for my answers to your questions.

Great looking pen! The segmenting is off the chart great!

I would like to hear more about, "Main Glue for Segments: UFO Thick by Hot Stuff (no breaks at all)"?

-Where did you get it?
"I have been getting it at HobbyLinc but they are so slow to ship it isn't funny I have been going back and forth with Glenn the owner who is a member here and I think he would like to come up with something to help us all. Stay tuned...."
-Are you only using it for segmenting pieces?
"I only use it for segmenting"
-What's the set-up time like?
"The setup time is pretty much like regular CA"
-Are there any of those terrible fumes(like with CA)?
"Odorless so no fumes."

Scott (keep 'um comin'!!!) B

B Wo

Mike, your segmenting is stellar. I'm always excited when you post new pens.

All of my segmenting attempts have met their end in the drilling stage. But as frustrating as that gets, when I see something like this, it makes me want to dust myself off and give it another whirl.

Don't give up. How are you drilling? I drill on the lathe! Are you using sharp drills? Are you drilling a pilot hole? I drill my 12.5 caps in three steps. I drill my 10.5 in two steps. You really need to have all of these drills very sharp. You need to drill in a bit and back out and wait. I have a dust collector going right behind my drill and let the air from that go over the drill to help with cooling. I will try to do a video about drilling these blanks to help but I only have limited time to work on these things I still need to crank out some pens myself.

Mike

Mike, your segmenting is stellar. I'm always excited when you post new pens.

All of my segmenting attempts have met their end in the drilling stage. But as frustrating as that gets, when I see something like this, it makes me want to dust myself off and give it another whirl.

Top Bottom