Chechen Burl on a stretch.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

Several months ago I bought a 2 tone chechen burl short blank from Johnm. I really liked it, and turned it to 3/4" to get it ready to drill. I even finished it to 600 because I wanted a good look at the burl. It was almost 4", but too short for a 2 part pen or a clicker (my personal favorite). I really didn't want to cut it down to sierra size, so it just sat in my box. I thought about a vertex, but I'm not crazy about that kit, and I wanted something a little bit nicer for this blank. I ended up getting the Stretch fountain pen from Lau Lau Woods. But when I ordered the kits, I forgot the bushings. Well, that's not the end of the world since I turn between centers, and I do know how to use calipers (or so I thought). When turning the pen, I made some sort of mistake when measuring for the nib end, and took off too much of the wood. (It is cut twice measure once, right?) :confused:Anyway, I didn't want to give up on this pen, so about 40 layers or so of medium CA, and I was back in business. If I had it to do over, I think I'd go with a gold finish. Normally, I'm not a gold person, but I do think it would look better for this situation. I'd probably buy the bushings too.:wink:

ChechenStretch2.jpg

ChechenStretch1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atsowers

Very Nice pen...

I got some of that same Chechen Burl from JohnM that I've been sitting on too! Nice to see something made out of it! Guess i gotta get moving on it.

I've been there before trying to use CA to build up when I've overturned the bushings. Can be frustrating.

Andy

Brooks803

Looks great Bob, way to stick with it! I had a similar problem with my first stretch. I mixed up and used my zen bushings and later found out that one end is smaller on the stretch than the zen. Just had to do some more turning....helluva lot easier than your fix!

chrisk

Very nice blank + pen kit. Personally I prefer the BkTi for this wood.

The Stretch has two different diameters:
a) 13mm (coupler side) = upper part of first pic above
b) 12,2mm (finial side) = lower part of first picture above

BSea

Thanks for the compliments guys. This pen has really been growing on me. I put in a refill from Private Reserve, and the thing writes great. I haven't used a fountain pen since grade school, and I think it will be my ED desk pen for awhile.

And I think Jonathon (brooks802) & chrisk know what happened. I'm guessing I went back & measured the wrong piece, so both ends were based on the smaller diameter. I should never do a new style pen after 9 @ night.:sleepy:

deedubs

Well done. Lau Lau Woodworks is out of the Stretch fountain kits in black titanium. Does anyone know of another source for these kits?
Thanks,
Dave

Top Bottom