Cebloplast, Aluminum, and Ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bluwolf

bluwolf

I had been thinking about how some folks like the kitless and others say there's not enough bling. Then I thought, maybe there's a happy medium. Anyway, it sounded like a good idea at the time:rolleyes:

Then Doc (wizard) sent me some terrific cebloplast, kind of a blue/grey color that I thought was fantastic. I hadn't tried this stuff yet so I thought this was as good a time as any. I had a feeling it would go nice with aluminum and ebonite. And since I borrowed my styling cues from another pen, I thought it was a good time to borrow Robert's finial styling too.

Here's my attempt at a kitless hybrid. All mine except the clip.

Mike

Attachments

• alceb (2).jpg
    alceb (2).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 706
  • alceb (1).jpg
    alceb (1).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 667
  • alceb (3).jpg
    alceb (3).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 632

D.Oliver

Excellent work. I love it. I really like the matching grooves on the cap and barrel. There subtle but they add a lot to the pen. This is going on my list of favorite pens.

crabcreekind

Wow, this is one of the best pens I have seen! But i do agree with andrew that the black section is out of place. You should make a cebloplast section instead. But awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!

OKLAHOMAN

Mike, I really like it but I've changed my mind at least 10 times,,,yes I like the black ebonite, no I don't, yes I do, no I don't ,so heres the deal I'll send you a blank of the Misty Blue Cebloplast if you would make a section and show it so I can make up my pea brain. Its driving me crazy and I didn't have far to go.

Andrew_K99

Mike, I really like it but I've changed my mind at least 10 times,,,yes I like the black ebonite, no I don't, yes I do, no I don't ,so heres the deal I'll send you a blank of the Misty Blue Cebloplast if you would make a section and show it so I can make up my pea brain. Its driving me crazy and I didn't have far to go.
I'm not sure I'd make it in cebloplast. I lean towards aluminum. Maybe try both :rolleyes:

AK

bluwolf

Well, the whole idea was to shake up the kitless formula a bit. I felt the colors were all complimentary. The ebonite was to introduce a third material, as well as find a third color when you open the pen.

I never considered cebloplast for the grip on purpose. I did consider aluminum, but for me, I thought that was too predictable. But I may make an aluminum one just to see what it looks like. I thought the ebonite grip also drew attention to the aluminum tip.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Here's my inspiration! Just what I think a pen should look like. Thanks for using the ebonite. I wish I had some.:redface: Great design, and execution Mike.

Mapster

Coolest pen I have seen from you yet Mike! Very well done... I may have to talk to you about doing something similar sometime, you got the gears turning!

The fit and finish is superb as always, the cebloplast compliments the aluminum very well, the grooves are exactly what you needed to finish off the look, and the finials are a nice touch.

The only thing is I have to agree about the section being one of the two main materials. I completely understand your side, but on a pen of this quality I think it is a little out of place. Similar to how all of our high end kits are rhodium nose cone and section, but if you go to a mid end kit like the manhattan, then it is black and chrome. Just my opinion though... Well done!

bluwolf

Mike, the pen is amazing! I do wonder why you didn't put the groves in the finial.

Well, if it isn't obvious already, I took my styling cues from another kit pen I made. Of course I couldn't duplicate the engraving portion but I thought the grooves were a good replacement and more along my tastes of clean and simple.

I made this Imperial quite awhile ago. In this picture you can see that it doesn't have engraving on the finial either, and I liked that. Sorry I forgot to wipe it down before I took the picture.

Mike

Attachments

• impalceb.jpg
    impalceb.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 193

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
In person the pen is just great, if you close your eyes and run your finger down barrels there is no felt seam at the transitions from ceboplast to aluminum. Of course we would expect no less from Mike to start with.

wizard

Mike, That is an absolutely stunning pen. Personally, I really don't see the ebonite section as an issue with this pen as it is more a matter of personal preference. I see this pen as a teaching tool. I think you demonstrated the ability to create an aluminum pen utilizing the widest possible range of materials as well as to demonstrate that the designs previously reserved for kitless fountain pens can be extended further to include other mediums.
Great job on a truly unique pen!!! Regards, Doc:)

IPD_Mr

Mike - Is there a way to make the nose cone in such a way that the ebonite section could be convered between rollerball and fountainpen by just removing the nose cone and inserting a feed and housing? The design is fantastic, it would be nice to take it a step farther and be able to offer the same pen in either or both configurations at a show.

Sweet looking pen.

bluwolf

Mike - Is there a way to make the nose cone in such a way that the ebonite section could be convered between rollerball and fountainpen by just removing the nose cone and inserting a feed and housing? The design is fantastic, it would be nice to take it a step farther and be able to offer the same pen in either or both configurations at a show.

Sweet looking pen.

Mike, since I haven't made a custom FP yet I really haven't paid attention to the sizes involved for them. But I don't see any reason why not. I used a 9 x.75 for the grip section to barrel, and an 8 x.75 for the aluminum nose to grip section. The grip is .462 at the barrel threads, and about the same give or take a few thou at the nose. The nose has 3 size steps in it to capture the RB cartridge at the right depth. Since you know what's involved to do the FP section, does that help you at all? If not, let me know.

Mike

cnirenberg

Sweet looking pen.

Scary, I was thinking the same thing... I would think it could be done. Kinda like swapping out the El Grande RB section for a FP, but a little more extreme.

Timebandit

Sweet looking pen.

Mike, since I haven't made a custom FP yet I really haven't paid attention to the sizes involved for them. But I don't see any reason why not. I used a 9 x.75 for the grip section to barrel, and an 8 x.75 for the aluminum nose to grip section. The grip is .462 at the barrel threads, and about the same give or take a few thou at the nose. The nose has 3 size steps in it to capture the RB cartridge at the right depth. Since you know what's involved to do the FP section, does that help you at all? If not, let me know.

Mike

Mike, what Mike is suggesting is very easy and i what i have in the back burner as well. The nose cone doesnt matter, its the section. What needs to be done is you need to make your rollerball nose cone extend further into your section and have threads that match your fountain pen feeds. So your nose cone would be as long as your fountain Pen feed. Then they could just be unscrewed and swapped out. Depending on the feeds you use, this will be simple, you just have to match the threads. Luckily, you have a metal lathe. If its an easy one .5mm, .75mm, you can easily do the threading on your metal lathe. If its Bock, you will have to match the .6mm threads, which your lathe might do, if not you will either need to buy the correct gears for this ratio, or use a calculator like this Mini-lathe gear ratio calculator and put your gears and lead screw TPI in and the thread pitch you wish to achieve, and it will give you the closet match using the gears that you have. Mike read my mind on this, and i have been planing to do it for a while now, just have to many other projects going right now.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Justin nailed it exactly. I love the concept I just don't know how sound it is. The aluminum would be very thin walled inside the section and could pose a problem in regards to threading.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Wimp, I have thread mine m10 x .5 for the outside and 8.4x.75 inside for fountain pens or roller ball parts I make

IPD_Mr

But I here tell you are use to working with small things, being in the jewelry making and all. I am not use to working on things small, so I will leave it to you. :tongue:

glycerine

Sweet looking pen.

Mike

Mike, what Mike is suggesting is very easy and i what i have in the back burner as well. The nose cone doesnt matter, its the section. What needs to be done is you need to make your rollerball nose cone extend further into your section and have threads that match your fountain pen feeds. So your nose cone would be as long as your fountain Pen feed. Then they could just be unscrewed and swapped out. Depending on the feeds you use, this will be simple, you just have to match the threads. Luckily, you have a metal lathe. If its an easy one .5mm, .75mm, you can easily do the threading on your metal lathe. If its Bock, you will have to match the .6mm threads, which your lathe might do, if not you will either need to buy the correct gears for this ratio, or use a calculator like this Mini-lathe gear ratio calculator and put your gears and lead screw TPI in and the thread pitch you wish to achieve, and it will give you the closet match using the gears that you have. Mike read my mind on this, and i have been planing to do it for a while now, just have to many other projects going right now.

I'm working on a rollerball and had this thought as well. I think it would work for a #6 nib/feed, but I don't think the rollerball refill size would have the clearances needed to allow for a #5.

bluwolf

Justin nailed it exactly. I love the concept I just don't know how sound it is. The aluminum would be very thin walled inside the section and could pose a problem in regards to threading.

The aluminum would be the easy material. It's the other stuff like acrylics, etc. that gets iffy because it's not as strong as the Al. Of course in Redburn's case he actually enjoys seeing if he can see through the wood he just threaded. Not my idea of a good time but it's fun to see his results:biggrin:

Mike

Timebandit

I dont think there would be a problem with strength. It wouldnt be any thinner than the feed housing diameter, and thats in acrylic, so i can see the aluminum being much stronger.

Sweet looking pen.

Mike

I'm working on a rollerball and had this thought as well. I think it would work for a #6 nib/feed, but I don't think the rollerball refill size would have the clearances needed to allow for a #5.

I dont think it would work with the #5 feed either, they are just to small. this would have to be done with the larger #6 feeds.

MarkD

That's a great looking design!
I'm also not sure about the ebonite.
I also think that making the pen convertible from RB to FP would make the design even better.

bluwolf

I'm going to ask a stupid question here. I thought I understood what you guys were asking/talking about when you first started talking about FP/RB conversions. But now I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure I understand the problem I guess. If you want an FP grip, you would just make one. The only consideration would be, for example, on this pen, that the grip to barrel threads were 9 x.75. So...

Are you guys talking about combining the FP and RB steps and threads in one grip section? And that grip section could be converted back and forth between the two?

I'll see what you you guys say before I ask anything else stupid...

Mike

IPD_Mr

Mike - your aluminum nose cone threads at the top of the grip. Elongate it so that it threads at the base of the grip like a FP feed holder would. Use the same size thread for the nose cone as you would for the feed section. Generally this is something like M7.9 x .5 or M8.4 x .5 for the #6 nibs. Doing it this way all you have to do is remove the aluminum nose cone from the section and screw in a feed.

Top Bottom