splinter99

Trying a different design on a slimline..canary wood and blackwood
copper slimline ca/blo finish..

20078181132_csp.jpg

thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

Very nice.

I'm curious how the 'guts' are set up. Did it require modifing the lenght of the refill? Or possibly a Teachers pen set?

splinter99

I'll try to explain it..its real easy..small wood section is glued on a regular tube.
large section has regular tube glued flush with the clip end..so that means only part of the upper barrel has a tube..assemble as usual..when you put the two halfs together..the bottom tube fills the space that the top tube didnt fill..hell that dont sound like it makes sense..there is info one here on how th do it. I did a search on modified slimlines and found it..I'll do another and take a pic of the bottom section assembled..that should make it more clear

redfishsc

Splinter, If I read that correctly, you are basically saying that about half of the upper (canary) blank is supported inside by a brass tube? If so, how do you turn it with the blank unsupported?

guts

Hey Splinter,that's a fine looking pen there Bud,and the instructions look great to me ,maybe we've been at the same tap handle[:D]

alphageek

Former Moderator
Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />
Splinter, If I read that correctly, you are basically saying that about half of the upper (canary) blank is supported inside by a brass tube? If so, how do you turn it with the blank unsupported?

I'm so intrigued by this one, I'm going to have to try it. If I read the description right... I guess that the 2 halves are turned together. Therefore it wouldn't be unsupported, its just that the tube from the lower half would be inside the top half (just not glued in).

splinter99

The long barrel only has a tube in the top half..so yes, a part of it is unsupported but that doesn't seem to affect anything..I did a red mallee burl one tonight. I'll post some pics that may help clear things up

splinter99

alphageek..you could turn both halfs together but you need to square the one with the smaller wood blank first..since you cant use a barrel trimmer..put it on the mandrel and with a thin parting tool, make a cut to square the end where the two halfs will meet..then you can put both halfs together and turn as one

Fred

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning_Vendors/New_and_Hot.html

Go to this site and scroll down towards the bottom and look at the tubing cutter they sell. It might help anyone that ever wants to accurately cut their own 'custom' tubes. [:D]

mick

Harold, great shape and great combo of colors. After seeing so many of the modified slims posted lately they've got me thinking about making some! I'm thinking Canarywood and Blackwood with a Bloodwood CB. Hey we could start a thread showing off all the different material ands color combos we come up with! Might be a good idea.

mick

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning_Vendors/New_and_Hot.html

Go to this site and scroll down towards the bottom and look at the tubing cutter they sell. It might help anyone that ever wants to accurately cut their own 'custom' tubes. [:D]

Fred I bought a small tubing cutter at Hobby Lobby(in the train and model section) It's just a small version of the tubing cutter that plumbers use to cut copper tubing. It was less that five bucks IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom