The butt-fugliest pen I've done to date....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

206327_157880820938658_100001502242963_340688_4643404_n.jpg

This pen started life as a bloodwood/deer antler segmented pen. The bloodwood kept blowing up on the lathe. I've made roughly 5 different attempts to salvage it with bloodwood. The only piece that survived was the one between the antler segments. The bottom segment was supposed to be the only antler on that barrel. After fighting with it for months, I almost had it dialed in, and got the larger piece of antler on it. Then the bloodwood at the nib blew out. Figured since I couldn't throw out the deer antler I'd try a move born of desperation. I woulda saved this for the birthday bash, but I am just relieved to no longer be staring at it above my lathe. Brooks, I'm so sorry for associating one of your blanks with this mess. It was a really good idea on paper at least.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Dude that's not bad!! you should see some of the stuff that I've blown up re segmented and blown up a few more times.:redface: I've seen some pens on here that make that look like a freestyle winner:biggrin::biggrin: and I have plenty of confidence in your skills, you'll eventually do one worse than this:biggrin::biggrin: We all do!!!!

ctubbs

John and Ken are both correct, the top is drop-dead gorgeous and you will do much worse if you keep trying. However, I am still proud of you, Allen, for continuing on to a finished pen. Here, it would have been in my barrel way before this.
Charles

MartinPens

Definitely keep the clip end!

The other half is just an experiment in learning. Swap it out with something else. If it's too bad of a memory, then bury it in the back yard or save it for some new creation that you can enter in next years ugly pen contest.

Thanks for sharing it.

Martin

Top Bottom