BLUE DRAGON

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dancrafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancrafted

Hi all its been way to long since I have posted anything. This is a project Ken Nelson and I have been working on. It's Statesman kit, Synthetic Ivory with Azurite stone inlay. I took 3 tries until I came

2005122914657_DRAGONONE.jpg

2005122914716_DRAGONTWO.jpg

2005122914735_DRAGONTHREE.jpg

up with on I was satified with. let me know what you think!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

Incredible!!!!!

I love it. Now is there a quick and easy "how ya did it" someplace?

Dean
Columbus OH

jssmith3

This is absolutely beautiful, did you do the dragon with lazer cutting then a crushed Azurite? I have not been able to come up with a very fine Azurite stone yet.

Texas Taco

Originally posted by TheHeretic
<br />Incredible!!!!!

I love it. Now is there a quick and easy "how ya did it" someplace?

Dean
Columbus OH

Like Dean said, Incredible!!!!!

Don't listen to the part about "quick and easy" just the "how ya did it" part.

PenWorks

Fantastic Daniel, so why were the others rejected? Not happy with the inlay? After Ken cut it and sent it back to you, was the dragon black from the lazer? Good looking, should fetch a nice price! [:p]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Very sweet... one thing about Ken... he will attempt just about anything you can think of and usually makes it work...
Good detail on the dragon.. did you design the artwork or is it one of Ken's designs...
Please give a bit more detail on the inlay process... I have some interesting artwork I am working on for future projects...

dancrafted

OK. To answer a few questions.
1. The first 2 I make I was using black steel wood and after doing the inlay fill with both azurite and torquiose. you could barly see the inlay not enough contrast in colars.

2. The process starts with Ken cutting the pattern as deep as he can with one pass. I turned the blanks down to just slightly oversized be fore I sent them to him. Then remount the blanks then fill pattern with very fine cushed stone and thin ca. I worked my way around the barrel repeating stone then ca until entire pattern had at least some stone. I repeated this process twice more until basically the entire barrel was cover with stone and ca. Turning every thing down is the tricky part (at least for me). The stone gets very hard. I used a carbide tip tool (the one they sell on e-bay, I forget the name). When I was using hhs tool I was not very successful. But with the carbide tipped tool it cut great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom