blackwood and pink ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skewzdust

Status
Not open for further replies.

skewzdust

Here's a baron in African blackwood and pink ivory. Blanks are from Woodturningz and finish is CA.

2006124132143_blackwood%20and%20pink.jpg

Still working on my photography skills (as well as turning and finishing!)
Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JHFerrell

Steve...afraid I'm with Frank on this one. The fit and finish look fine but the combo just doesn't do it for me. Now that's just my opinion FWIW. I do think that would look great as either PI or Blackwood...just don't care for them together in the same pen.

Ron Mc

Steve,
Take your left over blanks from each wood and make another pen only reverse the woods. Then match the pen pieces up and you'll have 2 great pens![:D]

alamocdc

Nice looking job on the pen, Steve, but I'm afraid I'm with the others here. If you want both woods in the same pen a glue-up wouldn't have looked so awkward.

byounghusband

Steve,
Nice work. Gotta go with the rest on the combo though. How was the African Blackwood to turn? I have a blank and am trying to decide if I will make a whole pen, or use it in segmented ones, as accent pieces.

angboy

One thing that does seem to tie the pen together for me is that the black on top and the black band where the top screws in make it look "coordinated" (not sure that's the right word to use, but it makes the two different colors of wood seem better to me than maybe most people?).

skewzdust

Thanks for your honest opinions. I'm still trying to figure out what looks good and what sells. I have to admit I did this by design, had someone specific in mind for it but now I'm not sure she'd like it. I don't have the other halves of the blanks either, something between a pre-senior moment and a murphy visit.

Bob the African Blackwood is very nice to turn. Finishes nice too. I bought it as accent wood, seems dark and featureless for a whole pen. Would be great for segmented turnings but you'll have to watch for carryover to lighter woods when sandng.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by skewzdust
<br />Thanks for your honest opinions. I'm still trying to figure out what looks good and what sells. I have to admit I did this by design, had someone specific in mind for it but now I'm not sure she'd like it. I don't have the other halves of the blanks either, something between a pre-senior moment and a murphy visit.

Bob the African Blackwood is very nice to turn. Finishes nice too. I bought it as accent wood, seems dark and featureless for a whole pen. Would be great for segmented turnings but you'll have to watch for carryover to lighter woods when sandng.

I like turning African Blackwood. Beautiful and without the problems of ebony. And, I believe it can look elegant all by itself. Check out below.

4830_African%20blackwood%20Baron%20with%20platinum.jpg
<br />

Fangar

I like it. I did a smiliar one. This one is Bloodwod with African blackwood inlays, and Acrylic top. The bottom barrel on this one was made for another pen orginally. But I made it into a closed end, and had the bottom lying around, as well as a black acrylic top. So the two became one.

baronbloodblack.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

byounghusband

Steve,
Sounds like it WILL make Great accent rings, etc. I will use sanding sealer, like Ron Mc does to minimize carryover.
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom