Black Zirconium Puzzle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

btboone

Here's a pen I've been working on for a while. The pen is made from zirconium metal and gets a dual black and mirror finish in a process that I had to figure out. The black is a ceramic and is very inert. The cap threads are dual lead so that the pattern lines up with alternating pieces no matter how it's put on. The clip is the same material, and looks to line up with the pen as seen from the front. It is laser welded to the body. The section was originally done with a spiral, but could have a hatch pattern if the customer prefers a more subtle look. I had originally designed the pen to have vibrant anodized colors, but the majority of people seeing it prefer the simple and classy black and mirror look. It will have an 18K nib, and accepts cartridges or a converter.

Attachments

• puzzle4.jpg
    puzzle4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 754

btboone

Here was the original concept. It had anodized colors and a clip that extended out of the body when a button on the cap was pressed. It made the cap a bit too long, so I took it out.

Attachments

• puz1.jpg
    puz1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 428
  • pclip2.jpg
    pclip2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 393
S

spiritwoodturner

Wow Bruce, unreal pen! I'd sure like to know how you made that one. I reckon your jeweler skills weighed into this pretty heavy, huh?

Dale

btboone

Thanks guys. Cindy, yes, the main parts are done on a computer controlled metal lathe. They all start as solid bar. The clip is made as a cylinder and gets milled on a small computer controlled mill with a rotary axis. I thought the colored version would be much preferred, but my little focus group went almost unanimously toward the black and white! It might be just as well, as the colored version is a huge amount of work. Every piece needs to be exposed individually to the anodizing bath while all other pieces are covered. Every now and then one of those seals will leak by and cause a different color where it's not supposed to be. It can be corrected by reanodizing that piece with a higher voltage.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Holy cow. Talk about a whole 'nother level. Not many pens REQUIRE an 18k nib, but to put anything less on this is almost an insult to the pen.

I'm glad this isn't really a competition.. I'd be like the rest above saying 'i quit'.

THANKS for sharing this.. I really hope you have something lined up with one of the pen magazines too... This series of pics would make a great story.

Bruce, you could've been just like others of the elite few who occasionally post a pen which RAISES THE BAR. BUT NO-----You stand there, HOLDING THE DOOR OF THE BAR WIDE OPEN, so that the rest of us can walk on in and drown in our own mediocrity! Absolutely astounding design and artistic expression. This, I think, is your best effort yet!

Skye

I'll agree with the group on going with the non-colored one. The first one has a much more refined, timelessly styled look.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Artistry at the highest level! I do agree with your focus group. The simple black and mirror finish says "elegance." Out of sight!

chigdon

I had the great pleasure of seeing this pen this afternoon hot off the presses and it is amazing. I have grown to expect this from Bruce's pens but that doesn't change just how amazing his pens are. This one is just great. Nice work as always Bruce!

Top Bottom