Birds Of A Feather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mr

IPD_Mr

Well I made some time this evening and got to turn one Of Marla's feather blanks that I picked out from the last shipment. It is ring neck pheasant on a Ti gold full size gent. Comments and critiques are always welcome.

genta.jpg

gentb.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

That's really a beauty! Wow!

I hope I can make one someday,and have it turn out like that one.

I was wondering how hard it is to turn a feather blank? Do they chip or blow up easy,and can normal tools be used,or do you need a woodchuck pro?

Thanks,
Steve

Timebandit

Thats real nice Mike!!! It must be nice to be able to pick and choose!!!!! This is one of the better looking feather blanks i have seen. I know there are a lot of beauties around here, but there is just something about this one. Its real subtle. The blanks arent covered in feathers. They were used in moderation.Well done Marla!!!

Crickett

Mike,

The pen turned out really good!!

I was wondering how hard it is to turn a feather blank? Do they chip or blow up easy,and can normal tools be used,or do you need a woodchuck pro?

Thanks,
Steve

Whenever I turn one I use a sharp bowl gouge. Like with any resin blank, if your tools are dull and/or you turn aggressively it will chip so a light touch is all you need. I believe Mike starts with a skew so I would like to know how he feels the blank turned.

Its real subtle. The blanks arent covered in feathers. They were used in moderation.Well done Marla!!!

Thank-you ... but ... the black background are feathers as well. I used the natural black ones from a silver pheasant, on some of the blanks, depending on where I took the feathers from, actually glow black/blue in the sunshine.

IPD_Mr

Mike,

The pen turned out really good!!

Thanks Marla, it is easy to do when you have something great to start with.

Thanks,
Steve

Whenever I turn one I use a sharp bowl gouge. Like with any resin blank, if your tools are dull and/or you turn aggressively it will chip so a light touch is all you need. I believe Mike starts with a skew so I would like to know how he feels the blank turned.

Yes I start with a skew to get it round. I could use a skew from start to finish, but since I have a Woodchuck, I am gonna use it and save me some sanding time. As it is turning round the resin that comes off goes from little pieces that are 1/16" long, to strings that are several feet long. The ribbons are very soft and the resin turns easier than the blanks we use to buy from CSUSA as it is a little softer. Probably easier than the rod blanks from Wood Pen Pro. Finish is easy too as no CA required. :biggrin: Once it starts coming off a dust collector behind the lathe REALLY helps as it piles up fast.

Its real subtle. The blanks arent covered in feathers. They were used in moderation.Well done Marla!!!

Thank-you ... but ... the black background are feathers as well. I used the natural black ones from a silver pheasant, on some of the blanks, depending on where I took the feathers from, actually glow black/blue in the sunshine.

That is what I love about this design. The finished pen is not so ostentatious but rather elegant. This design helps to visually slenderise the full size gent.

Thank you for all you comments. Now if I could just do a better job on my photography so you could really see how nice it is.

Top Bottom