Big Red

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Trying a different look in regards to how the threads blend in with the lower body.

Suggestions or comments?

20083243580_big%20red.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
OUTSTANDING! I've really got to learn how you guys do those, they're just so cool looking, and the possibilities are so endless! I REALLY like the almost monochromatic effect. it's got just the right amount of accent color, and a really pleasing shape. Did you make it postable?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by toolcrazy

Gorgeous!!! That is so beyond my pen making skills. Very nice work.
Steve Don't under-estimate yourself until you try. I didn’t use anything special, just a blank, tap and die, a few drill bits and a skew!

Nickfff

Looks great:)...

Would you mind sharing how you did the grip, clip and tap?

Thanks...

Neodon1

Simply amazing, you inspire me to go beyond
my curent skill set and venture even futher
into the wonderful world of custom turning.

Thanks for making that beautiful, beautiful
Art, that is also a pen. lol

Neodon1 [8D]

JohnU

Great Job! I had a friend show me an old FP today that was made like this one. He wanted to know if I could make some like that. Im still hmmm and awww.....ing!

pipeyeti

George looks great. One question, the threads look very close to the grip section. Do you feel them while gripping the pen? The clip looks great also. How about a picture closed and posted? please.:D

Firefyter-emt

Very nice. On a blank like that, you might think about painting inside the blank black because of the way the inner section changes the color of the outer section. Or, although I hate to say it, make the section black. The color change draws from the rest of the pen. However, I think you have the threads down perfect.

If you want to "build up" the threads at the body, design that step to seat on the pen cap. This way there will be an illusion that the cap is thinner than it lip suggests.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by pipeyeti

George looks great. One question, the threads look very close to the grip section. Do you feel them while gripping the pen? The clip looks great also. How about a picture closed and posted? please.:D
Larry, the threads are in the same position as they normally would be, I just created a space between them and the lower body in hopes of breaking up the sharp transition between body and threads. I don't feel the threads when writing. Actually this grip jacket is slightly longer than the stock Berea jacket.

The cap is still a bit long, I am waiting on some silver so I can make an accent ring then I'll shorten it a bit.

Lee, I hear you and if I use any real light blanks will have to coat the inside of the grip but in real life this grip doesn't look much darker than most of the blank. This is one of those cranberry swirls and the flash makes it look lighter than what it is. There are darker red places on the body than the grip.

Here is the pen closed. The cap is step drilled so it comes down over the lower threads.
2008324143036_big%20red3.jpg

gerryr

The workmanship is first rate, but being able to see the piece of tube inside the cap doesn't thrill me much. I think for something like this you need a completely opaque material.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by gerryr

The workmanship is first rate, but being able to see the piece of tube inside the cap doesn't thrill me much. I think for something like this you need a completely opaque material.
There is no tube in the cap, just plastic. I think I see what you are referring to though. I switched drill bit diameters in the cap and the top 3/4" has a thicker wall which shows up darker. When I get my designs down pat I plan on using dark acrylics and ebonite. Right now I'm practicing on my least favorite acrylic blanks.:)

This is good to remember though in case I ever want to make a pen from very light or translucent material and need to coat the inside with something.

Thanks, I wasn't even watching for that, I might experiment with coloring the inside of this one.

wlk

That's one gorgeous pen. I admire your abilities to make threads and grips. I am overwhelmed with the breadth of knowledge and expertise that IAP members possess and wonder what I am doing here.

Wade

Texatdurango

Originally posted by wlk

That's one gorgeous pen. I admire your abilities to make threads and grips. I am overwhelmed with the breadth of knowledge and expertise that IAP members possess and wonder what I am doing here.

Wade
Wade, you'll pick things up quicker than you realize. This time last year I got all excited about turning a Sierra pen without getting it out of round and didn't have a clue how to do a CA finish. Now I consistantly turn round pens and can do a CA finish without getting my fingers glued to the paper towel!:D

Texatdurango

Originally posted by rhahnfl

I like the fancy nib on this one!!!
Well I did at first then I didn't! I wanted the slightly inward curving line of the pen body to flow into the nib holder better so I made another one. And while I was at it, I decided that there was enough black in the body that a solid black nib holder would look nice. Below is the same pen but with the new black nib holder next to a photo of the first red nib holder. I also shortened the cap by .350".

So what say you, did it get better or worse?

200832543548_big%20red%20with%20black%20nib.jpg

wendell

I like the new nib holder better. I think the shape of the new nib holder is much more refined than the red one. Either color would work in my opinion with the new shape.

Wendell

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Chuck Key

Did you use the same nib or a smaller one?
John, I used the small feed holder that Craft Supply sells. The ones with the teeny tiny threads, but with a letter "I" bit, you get a nice snug fit that a drop of CA bonds nicely.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Texatdurango

Originally posted by Chuck Key

Did you use the same nib or a smaller one?
John, I used the small feed holder that Craft Supply sells. The ones with the teeny tiny threads, but with a letter "I" bit, you get a nice snug fit that a drop of CA bonds nicely.

I like that one much better. "I" is one of the three bits I have been using with this feed. I remember them by using "BIG" for the three bits. :)

Chuckie

jjudge

George -

I like the black nib's shape and length a bit better,
but I don't like the strong blank contrast.

You're REALLY making me wish those tap + die sets would come in. We just got the order placed, and now have to wait.

Thanks for the inspiration --

--joe

Squeaker

Incredible Work! What a beautiful piece. Can you tell me what tap and die I should start with? I have been thinking about trying one similar but not quite there yet. Still a few real tough questions...;)

Squeaker.....

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Squeaker

Incredible Work! What a beautiful piece. Can you tell me what tap and die I should start with? I have been thinking about trying one similar but not quite there yet. Still a few real tough questions...;)

Squeaker.....
If you are interested in doing your own threading without a metal lathe I suggest reading the following thread which should give you an idea what you are getting into...http://162.42.234.18/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34016

Top Bottom