Bicycle Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from h0race

h0race

After rooting through the forums and seeing what you all have made, I got ideas... and ideas... and more ideas. So, technically, there is a little of all of you guys in this pen. If you see something you would have done different or you don't like, well that part is not yours.. I'll own it... but mostly this was inspired buy a new friend that I have a lot of respect for (even though she is a bike Nazi) so I think I'll name the pen "Rhonda's Ride".

I decided to cut out a small bicycle on the waterjet at work. I wanted to see how small I could get it. After seeing a pen with solder on it, I thought it would be a great idea to cut a bike out of copper and solder it to the brass pen tube... then cast in in resin but wrap the lower tube with wood.

Please see my photos.. and video of the waterjet cutting bikes at the following like (if all works the way I think it should):
http://www.facebook.com/v/2415378866058

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• bike pen 4.jpg
    bike pen 4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 348
  • bike pen 3.jpg
    bike pen 3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 629
  • bike pen 2.jpg
    bike pen 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 399
  • bike pen 6.jpg
    bike pen 6.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 471
  • bike pen 5.jpg
    bike pen 5.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice idea,
I would use a thicker piece of copper and cut it on the water-jet just like you did. Now bend it so it would conform to the tube shape and glue or silver solder it into place. Cast a solid color to just below the hight/thickness of the copper then cast the rest in clear.

Last edited:

h0race

Constant Laubscher said:
Nice idea,
I would use a thicker piece of copper and cut it on the water-jet just like you did. Now bend it so it would conform to the tube shape and glue or silver solder it into place. Cast a solid color to just below the hight/thickness of the copper then cast the rest in clear.

I originally wanted the solder and brass tube to show for a mild steam punk (industrial) look. I figured it would pop with the birch ply. You idea intrigues me and may be the focus of "Rhonda's Ride II". If I use this wood, I'd have to make the color black.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

juteck

Tim -- I like it! Great concept, and great execution. Many possibilities with this method. Nice to have the extra toys to be able to do this!

If you're looking for a variation other than the industrial look, you could consider an alternative to Constant's suggestion by painting it black after soldering, and sand the surface to highlight/polish the copper bike to keep the 3D relief visible after casting in clear.

Rick_G

Some people have all the cool toys. Just out of curiosity what is the water pressure on that thing and how often do the nozzles need to be changes? Won't be many copying that one, at least not made the same way.

h0race

I'm actually on my way to the next one... I will be cutting the Harley Davidson logo (thicker as suggested) and casting it in black resin. I have made a "Die" out of tool steel which I will use to drop the logo in, and press it to shape. Early tests show that I need to cover the part in tape to prevent it from distorting while shaping. I think I need to polish the pressing part to allow for slippage while it forms the part.

I plan on casting the tube in black resin then turning it down to the point of seeing the logo. I'll polish it so the copper shows nice and shiny. Afterwards, I'll hit it with acetone to make it sticky so that I can cast it in clear. After clear, I plan on a band at the top and bottom of Harley orange--separated by copper again. The lower tube I plan on turning it tighter than normal (make it skinny) and wrapping it with leather. I will put a stitch right up the side as to look like stitching on the saddle.

Photos to follow.... Someone PLEASE beat me to this.... I told you what and how, now show me where you can do better.... we'll compare notes.

P.S. My friend told me not to use "steam punk look" rather "Jules Vern look".. said most folks can relate to that term.

h0race

Some people have all the cool toys. Just out of curiosity what is the water pressure on that thing and how often do the nozzles need to be changes? Won't be many copying that one, at least not made the same way.

Because I was cutting the part so small, I started with 10,000 psi... shooting water through a .005 orifice with a .020 mixing tube. The abrasive I was using is a 220 mesh garnet. To get the cut I wanted, I ended up cutting at 30,000 psi.... the machine is capable of 94,000 peak pressure.

Fortunately, I work for THE leader in waterjet technology and I get to play with this awesome piece of equipment after hours. Thank goodness I don't have to pay shop rates ($200 an hour in most cases). You have got to see the Adirondack chairs parts I cut out on it a few weeks ago..... maybe I'll post photos in "other things we make" forum when I am done finishing/assembling it. Pen making keeps getting in the way.:wink:

ttpenman

Might want to be careful with the Harley logo. Their lawyers are a cross between Pit Bulls and Hyenas with a little Pirana added in. You don't want a run in with them.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

h0race

Might want to be careful with the Harley logo. Their lawyers are a cross between Pit Bulls and Hyenas with a little Pirana added in. You don't want a run in with them.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Not the least bit concerned... I'm not selling anything and it is for personal use.

kenspens

nice job
love the concept and great job on execution!!!
thanks for sharing
ken
kenspens

sorry for the duplicate guys it didnt show up after i sent it so i sent it again grrrr
!!! lol

Last edited:

h0race

Thanks Ken
Thanks Ken.... :)

I have been inspired by others by looking at their work... I hope I gave ideas back to the forum with mine.

I am going out to my garage/shop to clean up after a weeks worth of puttering... typically that means not much cleaning but another pen... so the wife says.

I am making another Rhonda's Ride (RR2) for my collection and I will be working on the Harley pen (with my fingers crossed) and will start a new thread on it soon.

Top Bottom