Been awhile...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

With moving/expanding my work shop, it has been awhile since I've been able to turn and post some pen photos. Here are two new ones just off the lathe. Thanks for looking, and all comments good or bad welcomed.

First up is my first corncob pen.
2007321203253_2007-001CigarCornCobCS.jpg

Up next is a Mother of Pearl Sierra. I changed the kit that came with the blank, felt this Black Ti/Platinum one looked better.
2007321203423_2007-002SierraMOPcs.jpg

Cheers,
Draken

Edit in: These are the first photos taken with my new light tent, so I'm still working that out. Any suggestions along those lines welcome as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kiddo

Wow James! Those are cool!

I'm curious about the Mother of Perl one. Is it somehow textured or is that reflections from inside the pen?

Either way, Neat!

Draken

The corncob was dyed purple, but the color does look a bit "off" on the MOP one, will need to play around with the light tent and camera some more.

The MOP is the blank sold by AS and WC. You are seeing the texture from inside the pen. The MOP is glued to the tubes and cast in acrylic resin. It is sold ready to turn, including the kit, but I swapped out the kit for a different look. The surface of the MOP blank is smooth, just like any other acrylic pen.

Thanks for the comments!

Now that I think about it, the background in the second photo is only a small swatch of green fabric. It was laid on top of the red swoop that came with the tent. Some of the off color may be from that.

Cheers,
Draken

Woodlvr

I made the same MOP in the same pen that you did. I cannot seem to get pictures on here yet but still trying. Great looking pens. Keep up the great work.[:D]

Mike

byounghusband

James,
What did you use to dye the Corn Cob? And at what point in the process di dyou dye it?

I really like that Corn Cob pen. I would like to see the MOP with the colors cleaned up. Looks good, but I'll bet it looks better in person.[:D]

Draken

Thanks all. The purple corncob is a bit darker in person, or I'm just looking at it under different lighting conditions. I dyed it with Dynaflow dyes used for fabric/silk. I turned it, sanded it, dyed it, let it dry several days, then many coats of lacquer to fill in some of the voids in the corncob. The dyes came from Michaels or AcMoore, they come in a pack of eight colors. I did two passes of the dye to get the intensity that I wanted. First coat was a bit light.

Cheers,
Draken

alxe24

They both look great. I am wondering where did you get the Mother of Pearl. That is one nice blank.
Could you share?
Thanks

BigRob777

James,
Very nice. Save that corn cob pen for Elizabeth. Honestly, I'm not huge on unnaturally purple pens, but that color and the way you cast it and turned it is spectacular. Really POPS!!! I have yet to try mine from Johnny.
Rob

Draken

Originally posted by alxe24
<br />They both look great. I am wondering where did you get the Mother of Pearl. That is one nice blank.
Could you share?
Thanks
The Mother of Pearl blanks can be purchased from Arizona Silhouette or Woodcraft. Either place, they came with a pen kit, usually gold. I swapped out the kit for the plat/Blk Ti as I felt it would look better.

Rob, I'd save it for Elizabeth, but she already has a pen made just for her, and engraved with her name. She received it for her second birthday.

Just need to figure out what color to choose for my next corncob pen. [:D]

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom