Balinese Bronze Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenAffair

PenAffair

Hi All,

I've been experimenting with Faux finishes in Polymer Clay and while this pen is a little unorthodox, I'm pleased with the artistic result. This is the first time I've tried something non-traditional with Polymer Clay.

4299010462_2bdec6c8f4_o.jpg

Russell.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

That's awesome! In my opinion it needs a little work with the transitioin from clay to nib/finial but I'm sure you'll get that worked out. Can't wait to see more.

PenAffair

That's awesome! In my opinion it needs a little work with the transitioin from clay to nib/finial but I'm sure you'll get that worked out. Can't wait to see more.

Yep, I agree completely. Trying to get this sort of design to fit within the standard bushing thickness, or at least transition smoothly but quickly (no good taking half the pen length to do it) is a challenge that'll take a bit of experimentation to sort out.

Russell.

PenAffair

Russell,

Great job on the faux finish. Once you get more comfortable with the clay you will be able to work thinner and thinner.

Yeah I tried to halve the first rope in, but forgot with the second, which is why it's sitting a bit high. I didn't want to compress the others too much in case they distorted, but half round pieces would sit flatter than the full rounds on this one.

Russell.

Russell,

I am not sure if you have one or not, but get yourself an extruder. Don't get the cheap silver one with the thumb press. There is one (i think by claycraft) that is green with a twisiting mechanism to push the clay out. With one of the coupons you can get it for less then $10. You can make very small uniform ropes that will fit better between components.

Just my 2 cents!

PenAffair

Russell,

I am not sure if you have one or not, but get yourself an extruder. Don't get the cheap silver one with the thumb press. There is one (i think by claycraft) that is green with a twisiting mechanism to push the clay out. With one of the coupons you can get it for less then $10. You can make very small uniform ropes that will fit better between components.

Just my 2 cents!

Yeah I used an extruder, but to my regret, the cheap silver one. It's impossible to push. I had to use an F-Clamp and the largest circle just to be able to get out what I did. I've since found out that the Makins professional is the one I should have gotten.

Russell.

Thats it...Makins. I first purchased the silver one as well. Not being a small guy (6'8" and 290lb) I pushed until my fingers were bleading and got a 1/2 rope. The Makins version is a dream!!!

Daniel

Amazing results. Although all the scroll work and frills are not to my taste, I certainly have an appreciation for the effort involved. I agree that we are seeing a birth of a whole new avenue for making pen blanks.

Top Bottom