Apex SE Click - Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Yablonsky

Yablonsky

I bought this kit thinking it sure did look good with that nice Gold top. I finally got in some better woods...

Put the two together and thought WOW....what a nice looking pen.

Apex SE Gold wrapped in Amboyna Burl. After the fact, I did see some turning swirl marks, which I may have to disassemble and throw it back on the lathe to clean up...remarkable what a photo can pick up that your eyes cannot see.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

That's a really nice looking pen.

What did you think of the kit?

I used it for the first time a few months ago for my pretty wood pen entry and came away thinking it was awesome in a display case, but not something I'd want to have to use everyday. Kit seemed a bit fragile/finicky, especially the click threading.

OZturner

Great Pen, Ken.
Glorious Blank, Well Turned, and Finished.
I cannot see the marks you are referring too, that could be because of the Black Background, and not enough light on the Pen.
I appreciate that this Pen, has a Unique Shape of the Hardware, and I feel that your Fancy turning, of the Blanks, is a Tad too Much. IMHO.
Obviously you can Turn Well, as Shown on this Pen, but like so many things, at times "Less is Best".
A Straighter "Less Ornate Blank", would let the Hardware Profile Adequately Shine, on it's own.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Yablonsky

Thanks for the feedback....

I actually like the knobs on the bottom...when writing with it (it's my new Favorite until I sell it) the knob let's me grip the pen.

As for the Apex kit, I didn't like the plastic threads for the clicker, however they did seem to work OK and since I'm not twisting that part, which it does twist freely after screwing the clicking on, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It's a learning curve for sure...steep for some and not so much for others. I usually tend to pick things up petty quickly and can pick some things up from just watching it once or twice.

Also have a family history in working with wood. My father was finish carpenter and taught me a few things here and there.

Again, thanks for the feedback...

Ken

Top Bottom