Antler--- Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

This Click---Black Ti.---is made from Deer Antler---had a hard time finding a piece straight enough to make this one.

Attachments

• whitetailclick.jpg
    whitetailclick.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Have you tried straightening antler by boiling it, then letting it dry when held straight? I've been tempted to give it a shot. I've heard it works.

Gary Max

Skye---I saw that tread but never gave it a try---I have a ggod supply of antler and most of the time I can find something that will work, Hunting (pun) for Antler 4 inchs long would be rare.
Lets see if this pic is better---I was eating lunch the first time:rolleyes:

Attachments

• antler2.jpg
    antler2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 175

Skye

Goes through a nice transition of colors. Is that skull cap towards the click or is it all antler?

Gary Max

It's one solid Antler---no pieces.
Cav I have so much to do that I would not have the time to give it a try. Most of the pens I build are two piece which makes it easy to do.

bitshird

Nice pen Gary, I've done the boiling thing and it works, but it does something odd to the antler, it just cuts differently and it seems to open up the grain in the antler and marrow, but it does work.

W.Y.

Gary.
That is a real nice pen. Nice long piece of antler .
What is the kit?

Skye;
Have you tried straightening antler by boiling it, then letting it dry when held straight? I've been tempted to give it a shot. I've heard it works.
If that is true I hate to think of all the bent pieces I discarded because they were not long enough for even a two piece pen.
Anybody here know the process ? How long to boil ? How to hold it in place while it is drying ? I am thinking maybe clamping it to a flat board until set ?

W.Y.

Top Bottom