Amazing English Yew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Yew has to be one of my favourites and this is one of the best pieces I've ever seen.

A beautiful burl and bright purple twisting in the grain.

Finish is about 20 coats of CA. Kit is chrome graduate twist. I have to say, I really like the Graduate kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mossy

A really great looking pen. I also like yew and am fortunate enough to live near a fairly large area of ancient woodland where a rather old yew tree suffered storm damage and gave me a sizeable supply of yew, a lot of which has knots and swirls through it. here's an example of the pens I've made

Attachments

• bob4.JPG
    bob4.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 137

yorkie

That's a gorgeous pen, Mossy.

A really great looking pen. I also like yew and am fortunate enough to live near a fairly large area of ancient woodland where a rather old yew tree suffered storm damage and gave me a sizeable supply of yew, a lot of which has knots and swirls through it. here's an example of the pens I've made

ericofpendom

I was fortunate enough to buy about 1 tonne of yew 8 years ago, most of it was branch wood, 2" to 4" dia but some trunk as well. I still have quite a lot of the branch wood left so I might try a few pens out of it. I fell out of love with turning it as I used to get a lot of hollow forms splitting on me. I haven't turned any yew for years.

Eric...

ps. not me in the picture.

Attachments

• The Wood Store   13.jpg
    The Wood Store 13.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 88
  • The Wood Store   07.jpg
    The Wood Store 07.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 83
  • The Wood Store   06.jpg
    The Wood Store 06.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 86

PenPal

Stephen,

To be or knot to be is answered clearly once again by you as a Woodcraft Guild Member here in Canberra we were given three very old Yew trees planted well over a hundred years ago, they yielded beautiful timber as well. They were several feet through.

Your pen shows pretty good seasonal growth with a twist the way you cut it and the knot didnt get away on you this time.

Making a mental note at this time you have a good eye for outstanding timber and excellent presentation, finish and pics.

Many thanks,

Kind regards Peter.

philb

Have to say that Yew is one of my favourites and that pen shows it off well!
Not the easiest to get all the sanding marks out, but looks great when done! Just dont eat any of the berries or bark!

Here's some English Burr Yew - Love the variations!
1_SinglePieceYEWBURR3.jpg

yorkie

I use the Finkat Japanese sanding paper you can get. it breaks too easily for me but it leaves little to no sanding marks. Have you heard of it? If you can't find it, I'll ship you over some sheets.

Have to say that Yew is one of my favourites and that pen shows it off well!
Not the easiest to get all the sanding marks out, but looks great when done! Just dont eat any of the berries or bark!

Here's some English Burr Yew - Love the variations!
1_SinglePieceYEWBURR3.jpg

Top Bottom