All squared up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rich L

Rich L

Those of you that have followed the progress in the Advanced Pen Making forum know what this is. I'm posting the pictures here 'cause them there rules say so!

The threads there are:
"trying to be square,"
"a clip is born," and
"Now the cap"

Making it is explained in detail.

Briefly all the color is from inlaying mother of pearl pieces into precise holes in the sterling silver. Did the inlaying in the cap, the clip and the barrel.

Hope you like it!

Cheers,
Rich

Attachments

• 11_MG_1049 IAP.jpg
    11_MG_1049 IAP.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 784
  • 12_MG_1052 closeup.jpg
    12_MG_1052 closeup.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 499

Janster

...Outstanding and beautifully constructed. Now, I guess I need a EDM? Be well....Jan

MikeinSC

It's not very often that I get truly jealous of others but of y out and what you've created, I am.

Rich L

Rich, as a Senior Designer for PSI and a name like Nappy ( a diaper in the UK ) I can only assume he was referring to himself as a dope ( a fool, not a drug ):biggrin:

Just kidding, I'm sure it was something innocent. :wink:

Only "Nappy" knows. I certainly appreciate everyone else's clear, positive, and motivating comments but that one is unclear, a single word, and devoid of any context other than being in this thread. Weird.

jyreene

Only "Nappy" knows. I certainly appreciate everyone else's clear, positive, and motivating comments but that one is unclear, a single word, and devoid of any context other than being in this thread. Weird.

It's young people slang (well my age so not young but younger) for "it looks really good and I really like it." Also translated as cool.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

It's young people slang (well my age so not young but younger) for "it looks really good and I really like it." Also translated as cool.

Rich, looks like our young friend is correct. I cut and pasted this from the urban dictionary.

Who woooda thunked it??????

I'm glad I'm and old fart ( well almost !! ):biggrin:

dope
A word that describes something that is extremely cool, such as music, clothes, people, etc.
Ain't nobody dope as me, I'm dressed so fresh so clean...Outkast
by **DrEaMaKeR**May 10, 2005

Rich L

Rich, looks like our young friend is correct. I cut and pasted this from the urban dictionary.

Who woooda thunked it??????

I'm glad I'm and old fart ( well almost !! ):biggrin:

dope
A word that describes something that is extremely cool, such as music, clothes, people, etc.
Ain't nobody dope as me, I'm dressed so fresh so clean...Outkast
by **DrEaMaKeR**May 10, 2005

OK. Got it. 'cept I will say this and that the usage in that response is ambiguous at best. The word as intended is an adjective or in Urban Dictionary-ese, a predicate adjective by their examples. A more clear response could have been "That's dope!" I suppose, or "Nothin' as dope as that!" But, I ain't in the genre of folks that use such vernacular, so what do I know. I just got acquainted with ROTFLMFAO. Also, the grammar in many of the examples is horrendously bad. I'll get off my very old soapbox ... sorry for degrading this thread. :)

If it's a compliment it is very much appreciated! Thanks, Nappy!

Cheers,
Rich

PR_Princess

Squared Up is an outstanding piece....the MOP inlays; the lines are just exquisite. Another true work of art!

FWIW A have long admired your work (I still drool over your Damascus pens), and am delighted to see you posting here again!!

Rich L

Who knows..if Nappy keeps using the word, maybe it will catch on here!:biggrin::cool:

I for one sure as hell hope it doesn't......

I for one sure as hell hope it doesn't......[/QUOTE]

Yes, a fervent hope that would be. I think we need an "anti-dope" :rolleyes:

Jeff,Why isn't this on the front page yet?Stupendous,magnificent,glorious.Thank you Rich.

Again, thanks to everyone who commented or "liked" the post and thanx, Spanx, for that very significant vote!

_________

Here's an additional picture of the cap with better detail of the engraving. It's hard to take pictures of this shiny stuff.

Cheers,
Rich

Attachments

• _MG_1059 10by.jpg
    _MG_1059 10by.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 149

Rich L

Rich, if I may ask are you a machinist by trade?

Not by trade or profession - that was systems and software in the aerospace defense realm. However, I have always been interested in machining because I love mechanics (not the people!) and detail so over the course of my 40+ years in my career I have gradually acquired metal-working equipment (toys), taught myself to use them with advice, of course, from those actually in the profession, and now I have the time to employ the machines and experience in the pursuit of some creativity.

A lot of folks have wood shops. Mine's a metal shop. I'm the oddball on the block!

Thanks for asking!

Cheers,
Rich

jyreene

Aerospace. So you were surrounded by some top notch ones. Thanks for answering. I ask because, even though I have either 5 or 15 years until I retire from the Corps machining is one if the things I'm looking at doing for my second career. Which is not even close to my current job...

Rich L

May I ask where you got the pen clip bending jig you have in your Youtube video?

This video, I presume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQmhUbQ3Uig

That's all tooling I designed and made myself.

1) the first bending jig was made from a chunk of 1" drill rod flattened off on one side. The clamping washers were made from the same and that plate that I take off to finish the first bend is just from a plate of tool steel. That plate has a radiused and polished "die" edge against which is made this first bend. The radius of the "die" end of the plate is about 3/32"

What you can't see in the video hopefully is clear in the attached picture. The clip fits over that raised ring very tightly and that polished washer is screwed down very tightly so there is minimal distortion from the initial bend. The washer is intended to prevent as much as possible with this simple jig any creep of the ring. The screw is a 1/4-20 countersunk socket screw. Same on the other end but all that washer does is keep the plate from slipping while I'm bending. The holes in the plate mean nothing and do nothing. The old eyeball makes sure the bend is straight and it's been OK that way so far.

2) the big radius curved die for the second bend I think I made from a piece of mild steel. It is also polished to leave no scratches.

3) the die for the third bend is actually a stainless steel pin glued into a slot in a piece of mild steel. The polished pin gives me the scratch free bend. Both the dies on the presses were made to fit into the press quill.

I spend a lot of time making special tooling for some of this stuff.

However, I did not make the presses :) - those are a couple of Schmidt toggle presses I bought on ebay.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Rich

Attachments

• bending jig.jpg
    bending jig.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 140
Top Bottom