Abalone Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wortmanb

wortmanb

This one was nerve-wracking. I destroyed the first abalone blank I tried to turn (the resin blew up over half the blank; the abalone's fine and I'm hopeful I can either repair it, recast it, or otherwise still find a use for it) so this one took a long time to turn.

And it's really hard stuff to focus the camera on!

This one's green heart abalone from Exotic Blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

For the busted blank...

I set all my cut offs, busted, and chunks in a small box then I relief my stress with them and a hammer in a zip-lock, collect the pieces then cast them.

wortmanb

For the busted blank...

I set all my cut offs, busted, and chunks in a small box then I relief my stress with them and a hammer in a zip-lock, collect the pieces then cast them.

I think about half the blank can be salvaged -- I was hoping to mate it with a strong solid-color acrylic, maybe black, and sandwich it between two other pieces. But I too have a tin filled with all my offcuts and random bits and sift through them occasionally. One day I'll start casting and then look out!

mick

Bret, I keep coming back to look at this pen. I think it's definitely the best looking Abalone pen I've ever seen! The hardware compliments the blank perfectly!

Penl8the

Hi Bret,

First of all, great looking pen. I like it.

Since there is no damage on the abalone shell strips, definitely recast it. I recast my mistakes all the time.

Good luck.

... I destroyed the first abalone blank I tried to turn (the resin blew up over half the blank; the abalone's fine and I'm hopeful I can either repair it, recast it,

Top Bottom