2009 Australia Day pen Swap pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

BigShed

A couple of days ago I received my parcel from Chriselle in Japan, and what surprises it contained!

Chris's personal hand written note explained that the Jr Gent II FP was made with (and I quote) "a piece bakelite that was given to me by a very well respected designer and penmaker (retired) for the Sailor pen company here in Japan" Chris goes on to say that it wasn't the pen he originally intended to send (the urushi pen discussed elsewhere) but he reckons "it's not too bad for backup!!) I'll say it isn't! I'm tickled pink to have such a great looking pen with that history attached to it, in my collection. Thank you very much Chris

20090313_004.jpg

20090313_006_small.jpg

Chris also included some very nice blanks in the package, some spalted and some stabilised. The one on the far right isn't marked, but I am guessing is Texas Ebony?

20090313_010_small.jpg

Looking forward to turning these in to some spectacular looking pens Chris, thank you very much. :you-rock-1:

I have really enjoyed this pen swap and would like to thank Sam for going to the trouble of organising it, thanks Sam :great1:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

simomatra

Wow! what a great pen and to think of all the Bakelite I thew out as an electrician. You have some outstanding blanks there as well Fred

I know a few from IAP took part in this swap but next year I would like to extend the invitation to the entire IAP forum to participate.

This year we had 102 persons from 11 countries and 4 forums take part. i make the draw on 26yh January each year to co inside with Australia Day

Chris you have done a fantastic job, Bravo

chriselle

Well, I'm glad you like it Fred but the "IOU" urushi pen will be coming once it warms up a bit and I can get this darned tree sap to cooperate a little more.:cool:

I haven't had a chance to snap any pics of the gems Fred sent but all I can say is WOW....Fred is one of the masters. The blank he cast for the cigar he sent me is TOP SHELF! Pics of it and the other goodies he sent are to follow later tonight...

chriselle

Wow! what a great pen and to think of all the Bakelite I thew out as an electrician. You have some outstanding blanks there as well Fred

I know a few from IAP took part in this swap but next year I would like to extend the invitation to the entire IAP forum to participate.

This year we had 102 persons from 11 countries and 4 forums take part. i make the draw on 26yh January each year to co inside with Australia Day

Chris you have done a fantastic job, Bravo

Haha...Thowing out bakelite makes me laugh and cry at the same time. I've been trying to snap up all the bakelite I can after I got those few gifts from my Japanese friend. Bakelite jewelry and accessories are popular...

Sam, The reason I laugh is I also have a small business of building handwired custom guitar amps and am always looking for old Allen/Bradley carbon comps, mustard caps, and of course NOS valves. A good electrician friend of my dad's said he threw out BOXES of vintage 12ax7's and old resistors thinking they were junk..:eek: You.....wouldn't....umm...happen to have...any....umm....??:biggrin:

BigShed

Well, I'm glad you like it Fred but the "IOU" urushi pen will be coming once it warms up a bit and I can get this darned tree sap to cooperate a little more.:cool:

Can't wait Chris, really looking forward to that!

So, was my guess of Texas Ebony correct for the far right blank? It looks suspiciously like the blanks I got a little while back from dalecamino (thanks again Charles!)

chriselle

Can't wait Chris, really looking forward to that!

So, was my guess of Texas Ebony correct for the far right blank? It looks suspiciously like the blanks I got a little while back from dalecamino (thanks again Charles!)

I THINK it desert ironwood, whether that's Texas Ebony or not I don't know. I was at my dad's shop in Canada a few years back and had these "branches" sitting there that he got from a friend....I cut em up and that's what you have there.

BigShed

Thanks Chris, someone on the Oz forum came back with Desert Ironwood as well, so that seems to be it then.

Sure looks like those Texas Ebony blanks though............

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Fred . I knew Chris would come thru with something spectacular . It's strictly coincidental that I am about to turn a Black Bakelite blank that I bought from Dawn sometime last year . I hope it turns out as well as yours . Chris does some awesome work . I hope he likes your pen as well as I like mine from you . Thanks for the help with that Ebony . Going to make a pen from it soon ! :wink:

Ligget

I was too ill to take part in the swap this time round but that is one beautiful pen that you received, will try to take part in the next one!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
That's a great looking pen. Maybe it's just me, but I like a classic black with understated
kits like this. The fancier kits would take away from the simple lines and divert attention
away from the smooth, clean form. Simply elegant.

I had to go look up 'Texas Ebony' to see if it was a nickname (much like Coney Island
Whitefish is a nickname for the used condoms that wash up on the beach) since I'd
never seen or heard of Texas Ebony. But it's really a wood. Google said so!

BigShed

Fred, that is one awesome pen and an IOU fo Urushi!, now let me check up on your address, I'm going to keep a watch on that letterbox!!!, Amos

The address won't help you much Amos, no mail delivery for us country dwellers, so we don't have a mail box.
The PO Box is securely locked and I have warned the post mistress to be on the look out for suspicious strangers:wink:

Top Bottom