1st try at polymer clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

This is my first attempt at polymer clay. I am not that happy with it and am posting it to get some helpful advice. I like the design and colors but am not happy with my fit and shape. I did not get my clay thin enough and did not get enough overlap of my canes in some areas. I used a rolling pin since I do not have a pasta maker. Any advice?

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

I think that's great for a first attempt! Very nice design.

I have never worked with clay so I can't give you any advice but it is something on my list of things to try someday.

Charlie_W

Cool autumn leaves Cody.
Great start! You have a finished pen.
I don't know if your leaf canes are thick enough to allow for going back on the lathe to work on shape.
Still, you did it and the leaves are a nice feature!

Charlie_W

Some folks will add rubber bands to the straight rolling pin for a thickness guage. Also, you could use a couple of thin rails of wood for the rolling pin to come down on so you can roll a uniform thickness.

Others use the bushings in the tubes and roll the tube with clay to get it so your almost finished size...then bake.

Cwalker935

Some folks will add rubber bands to the straight rolling pin for a thickness guage. Also, you could use a couple of thin rails of wood for the rolling pin to come down on so you can roll a uniform thickness.

Others use the bushings in the tubes and roll the tube with clay to get it so your almost finished size...then bake.

Thanks. I used some thick paper to try to get my thickness right but had issues with the clay sticking to the rolling pin and could not get it as thin as I wanted without tearing it as I was trying to get it unstuck. I was using my wife's marble rolling pin.

stonepecker

Could it have been to cold to work right? (I am talking about the marble rolling pin)
I know NOTHING about Clay. But I do know stone and sometimes it can be to dry or to cold to work with.
When that happens, I use a torch to warm the stone to touch.

I really don't know if this would help.......just thinking out loud.

Skie_M

That looks great the way it is! :)

I would say, if you want to get your clay rolled out better .... use a mandrel of some kind and bushings. If you are wanting to turn it on the lathe to a specific profile, you could use bushings from a larger diameter pen and give yourself some room to work with.

TurtleTom

your hardware store probably sells stiff welding wire the thickness you need. I have a lot myself, and when I need to get bigger I knock the flux off welding rod. 1/16" on up.

magier412

That is a great start! I love the leaf design...very well done!

I've only tried a couple of clay pens, and I usually make them thick enough to be able to turn them down to shape on the lathe (not quite good enough yet to go right onto the pen without a bit of clean up) :)

I also learned - somehow - that CA glue "eats" poly clay. Ooooops. LOL.

I use a small acrylic rod to roll the clay - it wasn't expensive at the local craft store, and it seems to work better for me than a heavier rolling pin.

edstreet

That is a great start! I love the leaf design...very well done! I've only tried a couple of clay pens, and I usually make them thick enough to be able to turn them down to shape on the lathe (not quite good enough yet to go right onto the pen without a bit of clean up) :) I also learned - somehow - that CA glue "eats" poly clay. Ooooops. LOL. I use a small acrylic rod to roll the clay - it wasn't expensive at the local craft store, and it seems to work better for me than a heavier rolling pin.

CA itself does not 'eat' clay. However ..... The acetone content of the accelerator will melt polymer clay. Use an accelerator the does not contain acetone for best results :)

Toni has a good half dozen size rollers but I use an ebonite rod.

Top Bottom