Scottish Family Clan Colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sass

Have a friend that wants a couple pens in his family clan's colors (Douglas). Can't find anything on line so I'm toying with the idea of trying to make them myself but it's a little bit of investment, not to mention science experiment for two blanks. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• douglas.jpg
    douglas.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 22
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

Exotic Blanks had some plaid blanks earlier this spring, could check there. If not, you're possibly in for a long road.

hooked

What about pulling a tartan graphic online and making a label to do a label casting? If you don't want to invest in the equipment, you could likely find someone to make it.

ptownsubbie.com is one that I know of, but there are many others that make custom label blanks.

derekdd

What about pulling a tartan graphic online and making a label to do a label casting? If you don't want to invest in the equipment, you could likely find someone to make it.

ptownsubbie.com is one that I know of, but there are many others that make custom label blanks.
That's a great idea.

Sass

That's a great idea.

That just might work. Thanks.

Ray-CA

Have a friend that wants a couple pens in his family clan's colors (Douglas). Can't find anything on line so I'm toying with the idea of trying to make them myself but it's a little bit of investment, not to mention science experiment for two blanks. Any suggestions?
Before you get to deep into this, Clan Douglas has a number of tartans (9 of them I believe.) Take a look here: https://www.scotlandshop.com/us/tartan-finder/douglas. I own 5 different kilts both is dress and ancient styles of tartan and the lighter tartan will show up better in a pen (at least in my opinion.)

Good luck,

Ray

egnald

In addition to those already suggested, I've heard accolades for Michelle at Drop Anchor creations for some of the custom label casting she has done. - Dave

PS Someone well versed in Photoshop should be able to make the pattern virtually seamless to fit the particular tube size or sizes that you are considering using the "offset filter" and resize tools.

Last edited:

Sass

If you find what youre looking for and need someone to label cast them let me know. I can help you
In addition to those already suggested, I've heard accolades for Michelle at Drop Anchor creations for some of the custom label casting she has done. - Dave

PS Someone well versed in Photoshop should be able to make the pattern virtually seamless to fit the particular tube size or sizes that you are considering using the "offset filter" and resize tools.
Thank you.

Sass

Before you get to deep into this, Clan Douglas has a number of tartans (9 of them I believe.) Take a look here: https://www.scotlandshop.com/us/tartan-finder/douglas. I own 5 different kilts both is dress and ancient styles of tartan and the lighter tartan will show up better in a pen (at least in my opinion.)

Good luck,

Ray
Good to know, cause that would have really sucked to go through all that only to find out I used the wrong tartan.

Ray-CA

Good to know, cause that would have really sucked to go through all that only to find out I used the wrong tartan.
Those are all Douglas tartans. You can usually find dress modern, dress ancient, hunting both modern and ancient. The difference is the modern tartans are dyed with modern, more vintage colors while the ancient/hunting ones are more muted, replicating the primitive dyes available to the weavers at the time. For example, this would be a modern tartan:

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 19

ochoabrian

Have you consider a micarta blank with this color or even with this fabric? You can achieve many different patterns. I am adding pictures of some blanks I did. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpeg
    IMG_2225.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2231.jpeg
    IMG_2231.jpeg
    581.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2221.jpeg
    IMG_2221.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2215.jpeg
    IMG_2215.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 18

Jans husband

Just a thought Anthony, could you ask your friend for a small piece of the exact tartan he wants in the pen?
Just a few inches from a hem of a kilt or garment would do, and then you could cast that.
Just a thought
Mike

Top Bottom