Wood identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenobi

Hello there!

Can someone please try to identify this wood? Looks like some pink-orange exotic wood. I got it from a transport wooden palete, non - standard. Before finish, its more pink than here.
IMG_20240518_222059.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

The grain stripes and depth of the grain remind me a lot of Padauk. Also the concentric ring-like areas that can be seen in the reflection remind me of a phenomenon associated with Paduk. However, Padauk is usually a darker, more orange like color than it is pink.

Capture.JPG

Dave

1080Wayne

Do you still have the pallet ? They should have a number printed or stamped upon them , specific to the manufacturer , which might make it possible to determine country of origin . That might help a little bit in wood identification . Also , an end grain photo of the wood is useful .

Kenobi

Do you still have the pallet ? They should have a number printed or stamped upon them , specific to the manufacturer , which might make it possible to determine country of origin . That might help a little bit in wood identification . Also , an end grain photo of the wood is useful .
Unfortunately I only have a few cutouts as the pallet was mostly destroyed - thats how I noticed the unusual wood it was made of. I will do some pictures of bigger raw pieces tomorrow, and post them here. In the meantime,here is a photo of how it looks on finished pen.
IMG_20240519_023843.png

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is padauk and sometimes spelled a bit different. I have had numerous amounts of padauk and purchased it readily at a hobby (Tokyu Hands) store when I lived in Japan. My first CA finished pen was a padauk slimline some 19 years ago. Most of the time it is more orangish but will turn brown after 6 months to a year, even when CA'ed. There are slight variations on the wood color at times from some boards.

Kenobi

That is padauk and sometimes spelled a bit different. I have had numerous amounts of padauk and purchased it readily at a hobby (Tokyu Hands) store when I lived in Japan. My first CA finished pen was a padauk slimline some 19 years ago. Most of the time it is more orangish but will turn brown after 6 months to a year, even when CA'ed. There are slight variations on the wood color at times from some boards.
Hello. This is not padauk,Im sure. I have made many pens from both red and orange padauk,and the structure is a bit different. Plus,this wood,when raw,is almost pink. @egnald was definitely right, its red oak.

Top Bottom