Starting over again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Been out of the shop for too long. I did a Woodcraft medical pen for my NP daughter. Turned out good, IMO. She liked it. Started another with zebra wood. Using Titebond CA; started with two coats of medium then four coats of thin. Quick mist of accelerator on each coat. The second coat was a bit rough but smoothed somewhat out after the next two coats of thin. But I'm still seeing some rough spots in the finish. Wondering if the wood has micro imperfections that show up when the CA is applied. Seemed OK when sanded with the progression of the sanding set.
Your recommendations are always welcome. However, I have no interest in taking up needlepoint. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Been out of the shop for too long. I did a Woodcraft medical pen for my NP daughter. Turned out good, IMO. She liked it. Started another with zebra wood. Using Titebond CA; started with two coats of medium then four coats of thin. Quick mist of accelerator on each coat. The second coat was a bit rough but smoothed somewhat out after the next two coats of thin. But I'm still seeing some rough spots in the finish. Wondering if the wood has micro imperfections that show up when the CA is applied. Seemed OK when sanded with the progression of the sanding set.
Your recommendations are always welcome. However, I have no interest in taking up needlepoint. Thanks.
Sounds like to me you're on the right track. Personally I like using the thin CA first. I put a coat on and let it cure on its own. After that I'll put 1-2 more coats of thin and use excelerator. Then 2-3 coats of med. I use Mercury brand ca. Like Glue Boost it uses a base that doesn't cause the ca to foam. As far as needle point why are you so picky? Ha Ha.

Woodchipper

Kenny, thanks. Pondered the use of thick at first. Plenty of wood for practice. Too much concentration required for knitting.

Lew

Sometimes, and I have no idea why, a coat of CA turns out rough. May have something to do with the accelerator, but I don't often use any. I use a micromesh pad to sand it smooth before going on to the next coat, even to the point of taking it back down to the bare wood if I have to. I'd rather have each coat smooth so the imperfections won't show up at the end.

Woodchipper

Lew, went into the shop while waiting for trimmer batteries to charge. Sanded down to the wood and applied three coats of thin CA. Made sure the accelerator was far enough away to create a mist and no large droplets. So far, so good. Mistake was using the medium CA. I'm letting the blanks "rest" and will apply three or four more coats after lunch.
Edit: What MM grit do you use to smooth the CA coat? Curious.

Lew

Lew, went into the shop while waiting for trimmer batteries to charge. Sanded down to the wood and applied three coats of thin CA. Made sure the accelerator was far enough away to create a mist and no large droplets. So far, so good. Mistake was using the medium CA. I'm letting the blanks "rest" and will apply three or four more coats after lunch.
Edit: What MM grit do you use to smooth the CA coat? Curious.
I start with the lowest number which is I think 1500. I don't sand aggressively. If that doesn't work because the surface is too rough, I keep going down to wet/dry 1000 and keep going down until I get the result I want. Usually the MM works for me.

Woodchipper

Lew, thanks for your help.
BTW, the horse I see- quarter horse, saddle, etc.? Love the look and the graceful movements of horses.

Lew

Lew, thanks for your help.
BTW, the horse I see- quarter horse, saddle, etc.? Love the look and the graceful movements of horses.
John, just a saddle horse. There are a lot of good riding trails here in the Texas hill country. We were just down your way last year, visited the National battlefield at Chattanooga. You also live in a beautiful area.

Top Bottom