CA turns finished wooden pen red

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marcus

Greetings from Florida,
I have been turning pens for about 2 years and using CA as the final coat. I've noticed that if I use a spot touch up finishing pen to augment the color, the barrel will turn red when I apply the CA. Is there any way I can do this without having the CA interact with the finish imparted by the touch-up pen?
Thanks,
Marcus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
What wood are you using?

1. Many pen blank sellers (of wood blanks) will wet the blanks before taking a picture as it brings out the colors much better than just being dry sanded. CA can and will do the same to some woods. Red and brown woods pop out the most when wet or CA'ed.

2. But for some reason that does not sound exactly like your problem. IS it everywhere that CA touches or just in spots? What finish are you using before applying CA as the final coat?

3. Do you have a picture of it?

KenB259

Greetings from Florida,
I have been turning pens for about 2 years and using CA as the final coat. I've noticed that if I use a spot touch up finishing pen to augment the color, the barrel will turn red when I apply the CA. Is there any way I can do this without having the CA interact with the finish imparted by the touch-up pen?
Thanks,
Marcus
What is the "spot touch up finishing pen", that you referred to? Can you supply a picture of it. I ask because I've never heard of such a thing.

jttheclockman

yes we need more info and or photos. have no idea what you are doing. What is the blank and why would CA turn something red? If it is interacting with CA then it is not compatible. Many paints are not compatible to be top coated with CA.

Marcus

OK and Thanks. I do not have any examples because the pens were sold. The rich red color was very appealing and effected white oak, walnut, mahogany, olive wood cherry and others I can't remember. I just wanted to be able to shade in some areas and grain. With that said, the attachment picture is the culprit; Repair markers that I bought at the Home Depot. After sanding and smoothing the barrels I would shade the pen with a maple or cherry. I could understand the reaction of the CA if I didn't allow the color to dry, but even after a day of so, the CA would still turn the topcoat a reddish color. The CA I was using was "Stick Fast" Medium

Of late, I have been using BLO and then the CA, but I am real curious on how I can give the sanded barrels coat of the markers and not turn the wood red.

Thanks a Heap,
Marcus.

Attachments

• FurnitureRepairMarkers.jpg
    FurnitureRepairMarkers.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 27

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is the problem. CA is generally used directly on wood or cast (generic) acrylic of different kinds in some cases, but not on top of repair markers. First time I have heard of this.

CA IS used on dyed wood, but long dried out. But dye is quite different than markers.

jttheclockman

As Hank said that is a magic marker type color scratch hiding material and will react to CA. Even certain dyes will have a reaction to CA. Hey look how many times it comes up here when people do segmenting and then use CA and it muddies up the liter colored woods. Cross contamination is always possible. Samples and trials is the best way to avoid.

greenacres2

Yep, in this case the CA is acting as a "solvent" on the repair marker. Will do the same thing if a Sharpie or other type marking pen is used. As Hank noted...small scale experiments can help.

Marcus

I appreciate all of the good information and have finally reconciled that CA and other finishes don't mix. It's like drinking and driving.

RunnerVince

I appreciate all of the good information and have finally reconciled that CA and other finishes don't mix. It's like drinking and driving.
Except you said the effects looked good. Now that you know what's causing it, you can re-create the look if you ever want to.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Marcus, lots of mistakes here are just that, but sometimes a mistake becomes a great discovery!

. . . and some of you think some of us are all geniuses! šŸ¤£

I was thinking about this thread today, and wondering what you may have discovered! Keep at it.

Top Bottom