Just another duck call.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Been putting up a chicken coop, chicken pen, built a duck house and duck pen lately. I finally found a little time to play on the lathe. Just finished this duck call.
1000007131.jpg
1000007132.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

Oh man, I keep saying I'm going to turn a call just like Ben Stein keeps looking for Ferris. I even have a hybrid block I bought last year at the MPG just for this sitting and waiting. This is great.

Are you using components and mandrel like you've mentioned in the past?

Jans husband

I have often seen duck calls mentioned on the IAP site.
Bobby, could you educate us across the Pond (me), what they are and how do they work.
I see your excellent work, but it doesn't look anything like I imagined a duck call would look like.
What internal workings are there?
Sorry to bother you but duck shooting isn't a sport we see over here.
Cheers,

Mike

bsshog40

@bugradx2 and @Jans husband
Turning the calls are pretty simple. Ducks calls require a 5/8" hole to accommodate the call insert. They range from 2 1/2" to 4" long. Around 3" is average. The one I've shown above is 3" long. I haven't gotten into making the call inserts right now but hopefully in the near future. The jig for the insert is about $120 which I can't budget for right now. I buy Echo Inserts from their website. They make reputable inserts. I do have a collar kit and a 5/8" mandrel for turning the barrels. The design is basically anything you want to do. I usually turn the insert end down to about 29mm and then form from there. This gives a good thickness for the insert side to be pushed in and out if changing inserts. The opposite end is of course where you blow from and I like to make the mouth piece side comfortable for blowing. Always put in a nice little groove to place a lanyard. I know some duck hunters may carry more than one call around their neck. Different types of wood make different sounds as in also the inserts. I like using double reed inserts as I like the sound a little better than single reeds. It's all about the hunter tho, when it comes to sound. I'm really just getting started in these so I'm definitely not an experienced call maker. I really like making tho, they are a lot of fun. Here's a couple of the other one's I've made. Hope this helps! Thanks for looking! The bottom pic is a goose call. Different size holes for those but I had one insert and decided to turn it. Lol
20231005_194151.jpg

20231113_161110.jpg

bugradx2

@bugradx2 and @Jans husband
Turning the calls are pretty simple. Ducks calls require a 5/8" hole to accommodate the call insert. They range from 2 1/2" to 4" long. Around 3" is average. The one I've shown above is 3" long. I haven't gotten into making the call inserts right now but hopefully in the near future. The jig for the insert is about $120 which I can't budget for right now. I buy Echo Inserts from their website. They make reputable inserts. I do have a collar kit and a 5/8" mandrel for turning the barrels. The design is basically anything you want to do. I usually turn the insert end down to about 29mm and then form from there. This gives a good thickness for the insert side to be pushed in and out if changing inserts. The opposite end is of course where you blow from and I like to make the mouth piece side comfortable for blowing. Always put in a nice little groove to place a lanyard. I know some duck hunters may carry more than one call around their neck. Different types of wood make different sounds as in also the inserts. I like using double reed inserts as I like the sound a little better than single reeds. It's all about the hunter tho, when it comes to sound. I'm really just getting started in these so I'm definitely not an experienced call maker. I really like making tho, they are a lot of fun. Here's a couple of the other one's I've made. Hope this helps! Thanks for looking! The bottom pic is a goose call. Different size holes for those but I had one insert and decided to turn it. Lol

The goose call in particular is what I'd like to make. I have a good friend who I hunt with who loves ducks as much as I love geese. It's a great partnership as I'd rather keep geese over ducks and he's the opposite! The calls look great. I definitely need to get after it.

bugradx2

I have often seen duck calls mentioned on the IAP site.
Bobby, could you educate us across the Pond (me), what they are and how do they work.
I see your excellent work, but it doesn't look anything like I imagined a duck call would look like.
What internal workings are there?
Sorry to bother you but duck shooting isn't a sport we see over here.
Cheers,

Mike
Mike - these calls are used to mimic the sounds ducks and geese make in flight or on the ground while calling to other birds. It helps to attract them to come within range of the hunters. You blow into the polycarbonate end of the call and vary position of your hand (s) and amount of air you're blowing into the call to make the various sounds. It's definitely an art that I've not mastered

bugradx2

Different wood makes different sounds? Learned something today. Thanks for the detailed information.
different woods & materials can have different resonance. Technically speaking there is some physics involved with the length of the barrel and how loud/soft the call will be too. You can "tune" the call by altering where the polycarbonate insert sits and filing the reeds that are part of the insert also.

Top Bottom