Xcut Spalted Maple Cigar plus one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I was calling this dyed, but I think colored is actually a better term. After seeing the various dyed BEs and other dyed wood pens, I've been thinking about doing some. I'm probably not the first to try this, but I haven't checked the archives for results so pleased forgive my ignorance. I ran across a blue and a purple highlighter the other day and thought, "Hey, that might work on a light wood." So I gave it a try. Sorry, but the picture doesn't show the purple like it really is. My 6 year old Fuji takes great pics outdoors, but inside on macro is a different story. You also can't see the chatoyance of this maple. When I handed it to my wife, she turned it in her hands and said, "Wow, this changes color!" Even the purple tinted areas change. In short (oh really![}:)]), the highlighter worked (for me), but in retrospect, I should have let it dry longer before continuing. It would have stayed darker, I think. Finished with Deft Sanding Sealer and lacquer. Sorry this is so long. I'm easily excited when I try something new and it works! :D These are two pictures of the same pen.

200561143622_xcut_spaltedmaple_cigar.jpg

So I don't waste another post, a coworker gave me several nice logs of what her husband told her was Locust. She asked for a nice pen to send with her son when he starts college this fall. This is it and if it isn't Locust, someone please correct me. Whatever it is, it turned and finished really well. Turned a Zircote CB for it.

200561143648_locust_sl.jpg

Critiques are always welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I like the CB on the "locust", and the shape of that pen.

I'm not too sure about the cigar's coloring, but that's a personal taste issue; others may very well like it. Nice job with the overall shape though! If you do a search, you'll see that some here have had really good luck with the Prismacolor markers, and there are something like 144 colors from which you can choose, should you decide to give it a try (check eBay for great prices on marker sets). Thanks for sharing!

alamocdc

Thanks, Jim. I've seen the Prismacolor posts and may try those in the future. I was just going for something different while utilizing something I already had.

I think the kit used was the best choice for the overall effect. The colors are interesting, but the wood looks like it would turn out well no matter what you did to it. Wouldnt mind having a blank to try.
Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom