Wool/Yarn pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

I have a friend who is a devoted knitter. She wants me to give her a tube that she can wrap in knitting wool and I can get someone to cover in acrylic and then turn into a pen for her.

Has anyone ever done this or heard of this before? Tips or advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

yep, it has been done. I've not done it or I would offer some suggestions. SEarching the site will probably get you some hits and maybe some help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have a friend who is a devoted knitter. She wants me to give her a tube that she can wrap in knitting wool and I can get someone to cover in acrylic and then turn into a pen for her.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eagle did it long ago, using CA. CA reacts with some yarns and gets REAL hot.

I've not seen it done with PR or Alumilite--might pose some challenges with bubbles close to the yarn.

FWIW

its_virgil

This will get you started.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26156&highlight=casting+yarn

If I were to try to cast a yarn wrapped tube I would soak the yarn and seal it with CA prior to casting.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please do test the type of yarn with CA, before you start. I don't remember what does NOT work, but I know I heard about the smoking yarn and godawful smell.

KenV

Dennis down in San Antonio has done it -- he shared a photo with me a while back.

Cast in Acrylic

Attachments

• yarn.jpg
    yarn.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 438

jaywood1207

I've done it with string and cord and used a lot of CA. It might be a lot easier to cast it.

As Ed mentions test the CA before going ahead. I know for a fact CA reacts with polyester in a bad way and will start to melt the polyester.

Attachments

• DSCF7472 (Small).JPG
    DSCF7472 (Small).JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF7474 (Small).JPG
    DSCF7474 (Small).JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 255

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
Stephen,,
I saw you thread and had to try a yarn pen,, I used 100% cotton dyed yard and thin c/a . I gues the hardest part for me was staring the wrap on the tube. The dark colors seemed to show a lot of 'fuzz' anyway made a couple gave 1 to a lady at work who knits and my daughter both were well received,

Top Bottom