wood stabilizer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AlanZ

I've used it for two bowls so far.
Rough turn the green wood, soak in Turner's Choice for 24 hours, dry for 3 days, then finish turn.

So far, it's worked beautifully.

cajun skeeter

Turners Choice

A good quick way to dry wood, 32% down to 1% overnight soak, 2 week dry.
It's my understanding that the silicon, that is created, is not the same as pure silicon, the home page goes into more detail.

Wildman

All wood has the ability to lose and gain moisture based upon relative humidity. Paint and other finishing products only slow down this exchange, not stop it.

All Cedarshield wood preservative products use the same boilerplate information to describe each of the six wood treatment products. Let us for discussion sake say products work as described.

Went to the Testimonials did not find one review of "Turner's Choice Stabilizer. Reviews for wood treatment products just not believable, what kind of finish will you use on your pen?

For outside wood applications not requiring painting or other finishes applied these products might be okay. I do not believe the one time application and lifetime guarantee. I do not know of anything that will not expand and contract do to hot & cold and weathering.

While you may be able to apply a stain to wood after treatment with Cedarshield, not so sure about other finishing products like paint or clear finish products. If you have ever tries to refinish wood that been polished with silicone product you understand what am talking about. Same goes for repainting a car. You have to take extra measures to get a good re-finish.

The review provided by Bob Littlejohn, MBA. He and his friend applied three coats "All Natural Cedarshield Oil Wood Preservative," to a slab they cut off a log. That slab was ready to work by the time they got back home. Nice story but no pictures, raise the arm and save the watch!

cajun skeeter

Turner's Choice

I'm om my 5th gallon, no problems with fish-eye using a lacquer finish. If it didn't work, I would be spending that money on something else.

Wildman

sbwertz

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who is a tree trimmer and he gives me a lot of very green wood (fresh cut). I am looking for a way to make some of it useable sooner. For example, he just gave me three pistachio logs. I also have green catalpa, olive, and honey locust.

I have dried palo verde blanks in my dehydrator for a quick fix, and have also put them in my backyard grill (painted black) and let them sit in the Arizona sun for a week. Palo verde is great for dying. It is a light colored, plain wood that takes dye very evenly, and is readily available in Phoenix. I like to make dyed school pens.

KenV

Fred Holder - Editor and publisher of More Woodturning publication has been using it and advises of success. Fred has been around the Wood Turning Block several times and is a credible source to me -- will be getting some while in the South-48 this winter as shipping to Alaska is price prohibitive.

Top Bottom