Wood grip for MAGLITE- mini tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

rherrell

Last week I asked for your help here.... http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56726

After reading that forum I realized there was no "kit" so I bought a "MINI-MAG" and set about figuring it out.
As soon as I got it home I realized that the aluminum body needed to be turned down so I could get the wood grip "flush", like with pen hardware I wanted a seamless fit. I put it on my metal lathe and turned it down to just under 17mm. I was VERY lucky as I had a 17mm brad point bit.
attachment.jpg

Here's the turned down body, a piece of Curly Maple drilled out to 17mm and a pin chuck that I needed to make. Notice the front, I needed to leave .315" of the body unturned as this fits under the lens piece and I didn't want the finish to get messed up.
attachment.jpg

Here it is mounted on the pin chuck ready to turn. I used epoxy to glue it on the aluminum.
attachment.jpg

Here it is turned down and ready to sand. I used some tape to protect the aluminum during sanding and finishing.
attachment.jpg

After I sanded it I felt it needed some "pop" so I "popped" it with some green food coloring. If you use food coloring do ALL your sanding BEFORE you put on the color. After it dries use a piece of brown paper bag to "burnish" the surface. This removes all the whiskers and shines it up some.
attachment.jpg

Here's the finished product. I used a Sharpie for reference and as you can see it's not very big, just about right for my first one though. I think I'll try the next size larger one and maybe try and cover the lens part with some wood, that looks like a MAJOR challenge.....for me anyway.:wink:

The finish is CA, sanded with 600 W/D paper and buffed out with tripoli and white diamond.

Attachments

• flashlight 004.jpg
    flashlight 004.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,846
  • flashlight 007.jpg
    flashlight 007.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,598
  • flashlight 010.jpg
    flashlight 010.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,516
  • flashlight 013.jpg
    flashlight 013.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,610
  • flashlight.jpg
    flashlight.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,594

rherrell

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it.:biggrin:

Could you turn the wood part between centers instead of using a pin chuck?

That was the first thing I thought of Hans, BUT, the plastic lampholder in the end has "DO NOT REMOVE" printed on it, so I made the pin chuck. I couldn't see any way to remove it without possibly damaging it but I'm sure one of you will figure it out.:wink:

bgibb42

Yeah you could, but I'm lazy and short on time. :biggrin:

At least you were honest about it. :biggrin::tongue:

After thinking about it a little more, I think a metal file would be a better choice to turn down the barrel rather than chisels...assuming of course you don't have a metal lathe.

hewunch

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it.:biggrin:

That was the first thing I thought of Hans, BUT, the plastic lampholder in the end has "DO NOT REMOVE" printed on it, so I made the pin chuck. I couldn't see any way to remove it without possibly damaging it but I'm sure one of you will figure it out.:wink:

Well, what do you know, there is a "Do Not Remove" on that. Well, I removed it the other day and put it back together and the light still works so it can be done. I will post pics later when I do it again... cause I love tearing stuff up :biggrin:

BTW, I never said it, but this is SUPER COOL and you did a great job with it. Now, if we can just find a place that will wholesale mini mags :rolleyes:

rherrell

Well, what do you know, there is a "Do Not Remove" on that. Well, I removed it the other day and put it back together and the light still works so it can be done. I will post pics later when I do it again... cause I love tearing stuff up :biggrin:

BTW, I never said it, but this is SUPER COOL and you did a great job with it. Now, if we can just find a place that will wholesale mini mags :rolleyes:

See, I told you somebody would figure it out!
That should encourage those that can't make their own pin chucks, looks like turning these between centers is an option.:biggrin:

KingBentley

You know, considering that the handle doesn't actually touch the ground when the flashlight is resting and that actually looks like a pretty thick CA finish...I'd be surprised if it doesn't hold up pretty nicely..:foot-in-mouth:

Lenny

Nice job Rick!

Anyone want to try to guess when one of the major suppliers starts maketing their own version? :biggrin:

Woodlvr

Great Job Rick. I thought that we had a tutorial on making our own pin chuck but I cannot find it or else I was wrong. Has anyone seen a tutorial on it?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Well, what do you know, there is a "Do Not Remove" on that. Well, I removed it the other day

Now you've done it.

You know they monitor these groups, don't you?
It's the same people as the mattress police.
You don't mess with them. They know you removed the
mattress tags, and now they know you took the tags off
of your maglight, too.

You probably run with scissors, too. Don't you?

Don't you??? :tongue:

hewunch

Now you've done it.

You know they monitor these groups, don't you?
It's the same people as the mattress police.
You don't mess with them. They know you removed the
mattress tags, and now they know you took the tags off
of your maglight, too.

You probably run with scissors, too. Don't you?

Don't you??? :tongue:

um, if you see me running look for the guy behind me with a knife. And later on you can tell DOT where the pot holes came from :tongue:

Top Bottom