Will this work for penturning???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just after I retired my wife ask me if I would like a larger lathe. I said sure, but I didn't want to spend 4-5 K on a new lathe, but if I could find a used one in the 2-3K range I might but those seem to be few and far between.
A few weeks back, Don Wade posted his Powermatic 3520A for sale for $2500. Needless to say I contacted him right away. It took me until yesterday before I could make the 4 1/2hr one way drive from Pearland to Hawkins to pick it up. My son was here for a visit so I had him ride up with me to pick it up. When we got home, we unloaded it and reassembled it in the front of the shop. He had to leave this morning to go back home, so that left me to move it about 15-20 to the back of the shop.
Man…that's one heavy @$$ lathe. It sure won't go anywhere like my old Jet 1236 did when something was out of balance.
Anyone in the market for a Jet 1236?

Attachments

• 7-22-11 021.JPG
    7-22-11 021.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 472
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

Mannie, I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but that will definitely not work for penturning. Luckily, I am willing to take it off your hands, so you won't have to look at it anymore.

Man, that is a sweet piece of equipment. I hope I can get my hands on one someday.

EricJS

I don't think it's big enough for penturning.:biggrin:

I'm sure you can find something it can handle. Very Nice.:wink:

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Mustard looks good on you..!!..should make plenty of nice pens with that..!

...question though, is that really the correct setup/position for that boring bar..??

Daniel

Well seeing how your are on a budget and all, I am sure will be able to scrape buy making a pen or two on that. Might be a bit hard on you though so if you need a break you can call me to come fill in any time.

Congrats on that one, you deserve it. I have been eyeing the powermatics for a few years now.

lorbay

Just after I retired my wife ask me if I would like a larger lathe. I said sure, but I didn't want to spend 4-5 K on a new lathe, but if I could find a used one in the 2-3K range I might but those seem to be few and far between.
A few weeks back, Don Wade posted his Powermatic 3520A for sale for $2500. Needless to say I contacted him right away. It took me until yesterday before I could make the 4 1/2hr one way drive from Pearland to Hawkins to pick it up. My son was here for a visit so I had him ride up with me to pick it up. When we got home, we unloaded it and reassembled it in the front of the shop. He had to leave this morning to go back home, so that left me to move it about 15-20 to the back of the shop.
Man…that's one heavy @$$ lathe. It sure won't go anywhere like my old Jet 1236 did when something was out of balance.

Is it variable speed?

Lin.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Is it variable speed?

Lin.

It's a Reeves drive, but shipping to Canada would most likely be a deal killer.

Rick P

Ummmm little stunned no one has mentioned this. Monty are you short on shop space? If not the last thing I would do is sell the old lathe! I would love to have a dedicated pen lathe and not have to reconfigure the dang thing every time I wanted to turn a bowl instead. From where I am sitting you have the best set up possible, little lathe for little stuff big lathe for big stuff!
When I am finally able to move into a real shop my delta midi will be coming with me........wouldn't want the big one to get lonely.

For me Lathes are like books or bows, once I have one it's here to stay unless I can give it to a newbie to help them find the joy of archery/wood turning. That is what I did with my old Rockwell, it is currently on indefinite loan to a new turner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom