What wood is this, please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

paleydp

I have no idea where I got this blank. It has a very long, open grain and kind of 'feathered' when turned (or maybe I just need to sharpen my tools). It polished up with a golden wheat kind of grain color. I'd just like to know what it is, just to know.
Thanks,
Denise

Image Insert:
200461433017_whatwood.jpg

32.04KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Oak maybe??? I don't know, but the pen turned out nice. You may never know what the wood is. There are wood experts and distributors that are sometimes stumped (pun intended). There are so many variations, even within one tree, that identification by a simple picture is all but impossible. I think the term "found wood" was coined for this particular situation.

ilikewood

Hi Denise,

Can you use a scanner to get a real close up of the pen? Sometimes dig picts just don't do it.

BTW- there are hundreds of woods that look very similar in this color. Could you give us a few more hints (eg. oily, dusty, smell, does it spliter?, etc.)

Bill in Idaho

paleydp

Tried to take a better pic (w/camera and scanner) for 2 days, finally scanned it just now with blue paper behind it and voila! This image looks pretty true. Lynn L directed me to a pic of a mesquite pen, looks similar but can't really tell (thanks Lynn). The wood is not heavy, if anything, it's pretty light, I actually thought it would be too boring for use till I polished it. Grain is very open and very long, turned easily, then polished with this great gold and wheat colors, the lighter color is almost metallic looking.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200461713341_what5.jpg
<br /> 43.5&nbsp;KB

debturnswood

could it be a type of Mahogany? I only mention it ( definately do not know woods here really) becasue a couple mahogany pens I turned had the same pattern as the grain shown on teh bottom of the close up photo, along the blue edge?

ilikewood

Sorry Denise, but I have dozens of wood that look similar, so I don't have a clue. It could be anything from a mahogany, dark maple, or any other assortment of bushes that you can get wood from. Sorry, but I am of no help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom