What I've been up to

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darbytee

Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

Between flying back to the east coast for a funeral and transitioning into a new aircraft I haven't had too much time to post here, much less turn any pens. Here are a couple I managed to get out and "the one that got away". The first one is a homebrew resin baron. I didn't use any pigment just some of the copper luster powder with a touch of the pearl for accent. The second is a masur birch baron. The third is another homebrew that I was really pleased with until I started putting it together. If you'll notice the piece on top of the lower barrel that is usually threaded is not threaded. I didn't catch this until I had already put it together. I've given up hope of fixing it, but I still thought the resin came out pretty nice.:) As always, thanks for looking.

20055261236_copper.jpg

200552612322_masur.jpg

200552612337_ruint.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

Thsoe are some CLASSY lookin' pens. I love the coloring on the first pen, and the grain on the second one is awesomne.

Good job.

JimGo

Fred, you did a great job with the castings; I wish mine came out that good! You also did a heck of a job with the fit and finish on these pens, congrats.

I had a couple cigars that got screwed up due to "user error" (swapped the barrels while on the lathe), and you SHOULD be able to get that apart if you want to. Lou (DCBluesMan) was kind enough to lend me his transfer punches from Harbor Freight, and they worked so well that mine are on their way! All you need to do is unscrew the tip and slip the biggest punch you can fit inside. A few good "whacks" with a hammer, and that sucker will go flyin' (literally). Then just put in the right piece, and you're all set.

Also, sorry to hear about your loss, and congrats on the new qualifications.

hobby_dale

Fred, all the pens turned out (pun intended) to be very impressive. I like all the coloring in the resins and the grain the wood as well. A light shimmer seems to really catch the eye when looking at the pen. Great job and I look forward to seeing more. And like Jim said, sorry about your loss, but congrats on the new certification. I am working on my PP-SEL.

Best,
Dale

vick

unfortunately I have been hit by no threading of parts before. Usually it is great reminder for me to dry fit my part before assembly. Unfortunately after about a month I forget and quit dry fitting and usually ruin a turned barrel. As a note if you do catch it prior to assembly CSU has always sent me a replacement part at no charge.
By the way the resins look beautiful.

darbytee

Thanks to all for the positive comments and the condolences. My friends died doing what they loved...flying. We will grieve and we will go on. God rest them both. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom