What is this wood???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Diane

Can anyone identify this wood: A friend of mine cut it in south Alabama. It has little knobs all over it and some of the knobs have sharp brier 'pookies' on them. There is a very thin green layer under the bark. I have it drying now but didn't want to turn it until I know if it's poisonous or will irritate my skin.

Any ideas what it is? TY

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 175
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Something I don't think I want to mess with. I've never seen a piece of wood like this nor have I ever heard of anything like this. Once dry and you try to turn it I would suggest a very good respirator and long sleeve shirt and long pants and gloves. And shower as soon as you've finished. You might check with a local forest service if there's one near by. Might be something in the mesquite family but I'm not an expert.

jttheclockman

If it has briars it is Mother Natures way of protecting it and I would not mess with it. Not worth the effort.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
How thick is the piece you have? I'm wondering if this is from a shrub or a tree? Even an old vine will get pretty thick. Any additional hints would help. Looks nasty :wink:, but hey, prickers will turn off.

stonepecker

Just thinking out loud...….would make a great "Hard to write with" pen.

Cut a piece and put it on the lathe...….turn a nib and round of the back. Drill for a Bic ink fill and place it where the kids can find out that it isn't to be touched, LOL

KLJ

After a google search I think it is a silk floss tree. It is a very interesting tree from South America that is being used as an ornamental tree for its flowers and is said to be common in the warmer southern states.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
We need Edgar on this one. Perhaps it’s tickletongue.

I’m pretty sure that’s correct. Commonly known as Prickly Ash. Also called Tickle Tongue or Hercules Club.

I’ve cut a number of pen blanks from PA and I’ve got a pretty good sized one about 6” diameter drying in my wood shed. It’s fairly plain wood, but turns well & makes a good conversation piece. Keep a photo of the original pics with the knobs & thorns.

Top Bottom