What do you think of this Southbend for sale?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

I don't know anything about these old Southbend lathes -- are they worth what the seller is asking for this one ($1,775)?

The ad is here: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/SOUTHBEND-METAL-LATHE_15627301

Here's a photo of it:

20499370_640.jpg

Thanks
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thats higher than they go for around here but Your in Canada so the market by be different. IF it doesnt have any accessories it way to high. South Bend lathes are great lathes you would need to check on the wears on the ways. If those are worn walk away. YOu will have to get a special gear to be able to turn metric threads most SB are imperial thread lead screws.

islandturner

Thats higher than they go for around here but Your in Canada so the market by be different. IF it doesnt have any accessories it way to high. South Bend lathes are great lathes you would need to check on the wears on the ways. If those are worn walk away. YOu will have to get a special gear to be able to turn metric threads most SB are imperial thread lead screws.

Many thanks Mike. I'll look it over carefully...

Steve

JimBellina

The folks in the southbend forum at practicalmachinist.com will happily help you out.

If it is a 9 wits all dials and no quick change gear box, which is what I think it is, I wouldn't pay 1/3rd their asking price, especially if they don't have the set of gears and significant other tooling. That it still has a lantern tool post on it is not a good sign. Lots of these are being dressed up because prices have been going up, so be careful to look more than skin deep, especially if the history is sketchy.

Jim in NC

PenMan1

Using a 9 x 42 metal lathe for pen making, to me, is like using a Shermann Tank for Chipmunk hunting.

I'm sure some here will say "hold out for bigger". For me it is more of a space VS. Practicality thing.

South Bend makes a great lathe, but $1775 is a little pricey here. I don't know about your area.

Curly

Southbend lathes are scarce in Western Canada. Atlas are a little more common with the Aussie made Hercus version not too common either. The price of the one in the add is at the upper end for this area so might be negotiated down a little. Only one or two of the old style lathes come up on Craigslist in the Vancouver/Fraser Valley area each month and start at $500 up to $2000 depending on condition and accessories. Since island turner is on Vancouver Island anything he wanted to buy in Vancouver or at Grizzly in Bellingham is going to cost him a day of time, gas and a couple BC Ferry trips and that $200+ needs to be factored into a purchase. A bit more for something local might not be such a bad deal. So if the lathe is in good condition try a little haggling and go for it if you can't wait for a better deal to come along.

Top Bottom