Vermont Soapstone in Black Titanium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greenmtnguy

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
This stuff is soft. Cut it with a hacksaw and turned it with a rasp and finished with sandpaper. No finish and it feels greasy like Talc. Not heavy like you would imagine but fast to work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Very nice pen. I am a big fan of soapstone although it is a mess to cut and turn. I cut mine on the band saw and Table saw. I use regular turning tools to turn. I also micro mesh and polish, but no other finish. May I ask where you got the stone? Been getting mine from stone sculptures supplies out of Calif. I'd like to try some other resources also.

Very nice looking pen.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Paul,
I got it locally. There are a few soapstone sources, but a lot of it is harder than the local stone. I asked a stone worker where to get some and he steered me well.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
I think CA would work well. I sanded to 400. Probably a more detailed sanding to perhaps 1500 or 2000 sandpaper would work. Automotive stores have these higher grits. I will try more and do some research.

Gary Max

I use MM wet on my stone pens ----then a quick wax job to bring out the shine and they are done.
Had CA do some really mean things to stone.

PaulDoug

Yes Gary, I curious what problems you have encountered using CA on stone. I use it all the time to glue pieces together, glue it to wood, etc. No problem so far. Heat should not hurt it they use it in wood stoves. Fact I read where heat makes it turn harder, which would be a good thing after you are finished turning it.

I put res. wax on mine and it protects it from finger prints, stains and keeps it shinny. You have ot wax it every once and a while. I think any wax would help it. Clear kiwi shoe polish is suppose to be the same as res wax at a fraction of the cost. My shaving set is holding up real well. I've been using it.

Top Bottom