Two new corncobs with a finish comparison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

I tried a tip from one of the employees at Woodcraft, Jim, to get the corn cob to "pop". It also helped with the area that got a little close to the center. The top pen has coat of Behlen Solar-Lux Medium Brown Walnut stain put on with a rag. I waited about 2 minutes then sanded with 320 till the kernel pockets came back to natural color. Then I put on the clear. The bottom pen is natural with a coat of clear. I think I like the stain pen better.
Rich

20053165437_corncobcomparison.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdavis

100% agree with the stained one looking better. I like stained items. We stain some of the woods we turn here at school. We stained an Oak pen last week. It turned out very nice.

Deere41h

I Think that they both look great. You have done a nice job on both showing the kernels. Most of us haven't even completed one and you have two nice ones. Don't forget that corn in yellow.......so the unstained looks more natural.

Thumbs

The stained one is definitely more intense! John, I believe there used to be a stain called butternut which had a yellowish tone which might be suitable. I don't know if it's still made or not. I don't much care what colors you guys use; I enjoy the workmanship ya'll exhibit. I can't wait 'till I can get something that I'm willing to "show off."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom