Two Firsts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here are two firsts for me :D .... both built on Berea Streamline kits... I really like the way these kits look...
A spalted maple pen with an ebony cap... had a piece of spalted maple a little too short for a pen, but too nice to toss, so I added an ebony cap at 45 degrees... was a little touchy due to the differnt wood densities.. but I like it.. finish the same as below without the CA first..
The other is my first antler pen.. got some real nice mule deer antler and just had to do one immediately... a little intimidating cutting and squaring it and then real intimidating turning it.. listening to that click, click, click of the uneven blank and wondering if it was going to blow off the tubes... finish is a CA followed by sanding to 400 grit and then 3 thin coats of cellulose sealer and sanding to 12000 MicroMesh and Renaissance wax.. nice smooth and glossy... :D

Image Insert:
2004819155725_EbonyMaple_Antler.jpg

80.69KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I really like the spalted maple! I'm seeing more and more of the antler pens and I can't say I really like them but that's just me. I'm sure they're a challenge to make and have a large market.

Efletche

Really nice pens. Try using the European or other large pen kits for the deer. They are big enough that some of the antler's exterior colors won't come off. Really adds lots of character. I like to contrast of the ebony and spalted maple too. I'll have to try that once I get a little more experience under my belt.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't know if I did the 45 degree the same way others do, but all I did was stack the two pieces of wood on top of each other and cut them on my bandsaw with the mitre set at 45 degrees... I figured this way they would both be matching cuts.. glue up can be tricky because the woods want to slip away from each other... I used thick CA and held them together with one hand and gave a quick spray of accelerator with the other... seemed to work for me..
There is probably a better and easier way and hopefully some of the experts here will tell us... LOL..

baldysm

You could cut a slot in a 2x4 or something, and glue up the 45 angles in there. The sides of the slot will prevent the 2 pieces from sliding off each other.

Scott
www.onlyonecreations.com

tipusnr

I use aluminum L-channel and wax paper. I have a corner bracket glued to one piece of channel to use as an end- stop. Don't use accelerator but then I'm a little afraid of CA glue.

tomy2

Nice job...I have some of that wood just have not turned it yet...perhaps this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom