Trivia Master??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

jarhead has volunteered to review all of the trivia entries and pull out some statistical information. Question for Scott or others is if that would be permissible??

I have all of the entries that were sent to me and was planning on keeping them through the end of the contest plus about a week. Don't know if Bruce and Al are/have kept theirs.

Bruce mentioned the privacy issue concerning email addresses earlier. What is everyone's thinking??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I don't really understand what it is that Jarheaded is requesting...

Does he want to check the answers to see what people have responded to compile some sort of list, or does he want to be a check-and-balance on the trivia masters?

I just don't understand what 'statistical information' he might be looking for?

fiferb

I don't think I want to go through every email and grade it as right or wrong and forward each one to Jarhead. Even if he wants to go through them all I think it is still a bit taxing on each of us.

Is he also going to post who got the most wrong?

Randy_

I don't know the details of what jarhead is planning but assume this is an outgrowth of the post several days ago by Bob. He wanted to know which member actually had the most correct answers and what the overall ratio was of correct to incorrect answers. Coul;d be planning to track other things as well?

As far as work on our part, there is essentially none. It would simply require the three of us to forward all of the trivia answers to Johnnie and he would make up a spreadsheet or whatever to compile the imformation.

I don't think there is any intent to "oversee" the TriviaMeisters or police the contest. It is just sumple curiosity about how smart the IAP members are and who is the best of the best as far as Trivia is concerned.

Here is the original email from Johnnie so you can see exactly what he said.

Hi Randy,
If you are serious about having someone sort out all the emails and do the data breakdown, I would be willing to give it a try. I can't promise anything except an attempt to get it done in a reasonable time frame. Let me know and I will set up a new email account just for that so it doesn't overload my regular accounts.
Thanks, Johnnie

This is what got the whole thing started. bobskio2003 posted the following in the 23 Jan contest thread.

I first want to say that I've had a great deal of fun with the trivia questions, so far. I think the Randy, Bruce, and even Doc have done a great job so far. But there is something trivial (pun intended) that has been bothering me, and that is we'll never know who the true IAP Trivia Master is for 2008. With the random number generator it makes it so that we don't know how many people got the answers correct or how many correct answers a person has given over the month. I know this would be a whole nother headache but it would have been fun to know who is the true master. I guess all that grammar talk caused the educational part of my brain to kick in . Bob I.

Scott

I have no strong feelings one way or the other. If we had had this in mind earlier, we could have worded the Trivia questions so that statistical analysis would have been easier. As it is, some of the questions required a judgment call on behalf of the contest administrators as to what would pass as a correct answer. If all the answers were just forwarded to Jarhead, he may truly not be able to determine who had correct answers, and who did not!

In the future we could choose to make all the questions multiple choice, and thereby have a concrete way of determining who answered correctly, and who did not. But this year a good statistical analysis might not be achievable.

As for the E-Mail addresses and the privacy issue, he could probably be trusted. I mean, none of us have "sworn an oath" not to reveal addresses! But we are trustworthy, and he probably is too!

Whatever you all decide, I'm good with it!

Scott.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It would be nice to keep some stats next year, but I think trying to do this after the fact by forwarding a bunch of email is pointless. I think we could all list a half dozen things wrong with that approach.

I also feel uncomfortable sending member email address to anyone not specifically involved in the bash planning. We collected email addresses only to facilitate contest entry, then award and delivery of prizes.

My vote is no, and I'd be happy to make a post in the main forum (or one of you can) to that effect.

DocStram

I vote NO also.

If my memory serves me correctly (which is unlikely), last year, at the end of the Bash ....... there were some prizes left over and, if I remember correctly, Jeff agreed to let Bill award those to the people with the most correct responses but never picked to win a daily contest.

It was just something that we had not thought about doing this year.

I say we pass on Jarheaded's invitation .... and add it to our list of things to consider for next year.

By the way, I'm saving my Trivia entries as I go along. But, I have no specific use for them other than as back up in case something turns ugly.

Randy_

OK, as far as I'm concerned it is settled. We will not do anything this year and will give some thought to how this can be facilitated for next year.

Since the specific request was made to me by email rather than in open forum, I will respond to Johnnie privately and advise him of the decision.

Randy_

Originally posted by DocStram

.....By the way, I'm saving my Trivia entries as I go along. But, I have no specific use for them other than as back up in case something turns ugly.

Me too. I plan to keep them until the end of the contest plus 1 week

Gmail makes that very easy to do. When a given day's contest is completed, all of the entries can be archived meaning they are still available; but hidden from view so one needs only deal with the entries for the current contest. It worked out very nicely for me!!

I do have plans to revisit all of the entries for the contest that asked the question about cleaning up silicone. There were a bunch of answers that offered ideas that I have never seen published before. I plan to take all of the suggestions and put them in a general post for the membership to see. Should be helpful.

fiferb

I've been keeping mine as well and plan on deleting them after the bash.

Jeff, would you mind taking me off the trivia email now? Thanks.

Top Bottom